1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acting up allowance?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by onbekende, Jan 11, 2020.

1. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

I’m in a rather unusual position, in that having been hired by a school (independent) in the Autumn on a one year classroom teacher contract, it turns out the woman who was ill was actually HoD and she has now left and I’ve been made acting HoD. It was all a bit of a whirlwind between the head telling me she’d left, asking me to be acting HoD for this term and announcing it to the staff. Trouble is there’s been no mention of any management allowance or similar, and I’m still on a classroom teacher pay.

They are about to advertise the job imminently, and I may well apply of course, so I’m not sure how well received it will be if I go to ask for more money at this point in time. Have I blinked and missed the boat?

My worry is that if I don’t handle asking for the management money in the right way, I not only won’t get it but won’t help my chances of the permanent role. The other part of me says well it’s a totally reasonable request so if it blots my copybook, am I sure I want to work there?

Frank advice appreciated.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on the school...heads of dept don't always get extra pay.

Go and talk to the head and ask how you can secure the permanent post, saving them the cost of advertising.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You seem to be assuming that management money is a given - not so. Its an Independent and can set its own pay scales without TLR. Actually, I spent a year as an Acting Subject Leader in a state school on a basic classroom salary! Some Indies will argue that the "perks" - free lunch, lighter timetables, etc - actually compensate for potentially less pay.

The HT may have been a bit cheeky in giving you HoD responsibilities, but you didn't refuse. @caterpillartobutterfly has it nailed - rather than asking for more money on a temp basis, go and have a dialogue as to what you can do to permanently secure the post.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Refer to the school’s pay policy and/or ask the HT - These are the only ways to answer your queries...

5. install

install Star commenter

Do not apply. The Head is being naughty by not making it clear and potentially setting you up imo. There seem to be a few of these Heads around imo.

Is it a big dept? Do you have staff to line manage? Is your timetable now lighter? Is there a reason why the head asked you to step up and not others in the dept?

onbekende likes this.
  6. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

Thanks for the advice!

Update - I went to see the head.
    Before I could get a word in, she barks out various dept issues I allegedly ought to have sorted out (some of which I had no idea about till she mentioned them!)

Fair enough I thought, at least this makes the next bit easier. She can’t seriously tell me I’m not entitled to any kind of a management allowance now? But of course... she did just that.

Basically her rationale was I’m already on UPS or the indy equivalent so I’m certainly not the lowest earning HoD in school (sorry how on earth is that relevant?) and more or less told me to be grateful for what I’ve got as there was some kind of ceiling on what the school could afford to pay HoDs but then pretty much in the next breath said of course if you apply for the permanent role that’s a different story, in effect completely contradicting herself.

All very frustrating, and it feels very dishonest of her. And tbh I’m feeling very bloody naive that I didn’t iron this out before I even did a day’s work as Acting HoD. That’s obviously what I would have told someone else in this position to do, but hindsight is a great thing

agathamorse likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Look to leave and start applying now. You have a head in panic mode and there will be no winners. The previous head of dept got away.

How many are the dept? Why was no one else asked? Is there a 2ic?

bajan and agathamorse like this.