1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acting HOD Salary

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by hrlovie, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Hi, just looking for some advice really :)
    I'm about to be acting HOD for the second time (maternity cover) and i'm wondering what sort of extra pay I should be expecting? Last time I did the job I was told I was only going to be doing the day-to-day work so was not being payed for the full HOD job (even though that's what I ended up doing) but this time have been told i'll be payed as a full HOD.
    I was paid TLR2b (I think) last time which worked out at about 2.5 thousand extra per year. I was just wondering if anyone could advise me what sort of pay I could expect this time? Work have not told me yet!
    Oh, and it's a small department of 3 people (including myself) so not a massive dept.
    Thanks.

2. As you are in a smaller school, I suspect it should be 3-5K - if you are already on 2.5, it should be the upper end of that. As you are being paid as HOD, you should ask up front what the rate is. You could ask the HOD Maths or Science who would be on the same pay scale as you will be as acting HOD.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The OP has said it's only a small dept, so that doesn't work, does it?
    I'm not sure that asking anyone on here what you should be paid is helpful, since all schools determine different rates for HODs.
    Go and ask the Head.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Presumably the pay will be the same as for the post-holder you are covering for