1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acting Head?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by noblesteed, Feb 10, 2011.

1. I am an experienced teacher in a small primary school, teaching EYFS and KS1 in the same class. We do not have a SLT or anyone with 'official' management responsibilities, however I am in charge of KS1, EYFS, Numeracy, TA line manager and several other areas. I feel that this is more than enough for me to manage. I have no real wish to be a Headteacher and am happy in a middle leader role.
    My Head has announced that she will be going off sick for several months in the summer and has asked me to take on the role of Acting Head. I will be allowed one day out of class to carry out this role. I would like some advice regarding exactly what this role will entail as I have no experience of headship whatsoever. The summer term is already busy for me as I have KS1 SATS and FS profiles to produce as well as end of year reports to write, a weeks' residential trip for Y6 along with my other duties, plus I am getting married in the summer holidays so I have a wedding to arrange! My Head would like a decision from me as to whether I am willing to do the Acting Headship. What kind of salary should I expect for doing this?
    Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

2. It is a fantastic opportunity to try out the role and great experience. Think carefully before turning it down. You may be happy as you are but why not try it out at least you'd know for sure if its for you or not. Negotiate your pay before committing yourself. However be careful only to commit to set periods of time. I was asked to be an acting head for half a term and ended up staying for a year. I loved it but not sure if you'll manage to juggle both roles with only one day out a week.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I'd go for it too, but bear in mind that the formal Acting HT appointemnt can only be made by the Governing Body - it isn't in the Head's gift. Presumably what the head means is that she is going to recommend you to the GB for appointment. Someone appointed as Acting HT has to be paid on the Head's scale for your school, although it is likely to be at the lowest spine point for your school. This is a STPCD requirement.

4. I think it depends on your school (ie how small it is). If there are 2-3 capable teachers, happy parents and OFSTED aren't due, then you *might* be able to do this 1 day per week and teach the others. I am assuming that in a successful school, and with plenty of notice, the HT can either clear some of the strategic issues (action planning, SEF updating) before she goes or update them when she returns.
    If there is *any* challenge at all - OFSTED, ongoing problems, things that *must* be done in the summer term, then I'd seriously be asking what you can actually achieve in 1 day per week. How much time does the head spend teaching? How does this compare with the 4 day teaching week you will be doing? How does she expect you to manage the difference?
    To me, if you are 'acting Head', you should transfer to the Head's responsibility and teaching load (albeit with your own class), rather than try to do her job as well as your own.

5. Completely agree. I fail to see how you could carry out Acting Head's role on 1 day per week.

6. Back in the dim and distant past I was seconded to be an acting HT of a 2.5 class school, back then, 15 years ago, I struggled on 1.5 days a week out of class, now with all the added admin, responsibilities, compounded by the removal of the majority of services provided by LA's, self management agenda and your lack of experience(knowing the short cuts) I would think a minimum of 2.5 days would be required. What does your head get now?

7. If you are being asked to be Acting HT then you should be as free from teaching commitments as much as the actual HT is. You cannot do it on 1.5 days a week, nor should you accept this. If you are stepping into the HT's shoes, then the school needs to find someone to step into yours.
    It does seem to me your HT is trying to do this "on the cheap". Never a good idea.

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Agree, go for it but only with the same non contact time as head.