1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acting Head of Year - temporary contract over 2 years

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by benjybody, Feb 3, 2011.

1. In April 2009 I was appointed Acting Head of Year to cover the postholder's secondment to Acting Assistant Head.

Due to the ill health of the Headteacher and her subsequent early retirement, the post was extended on a termly basis and has now been extended until 31st August 2011.

This means that I will have been in post well over two years.

Should the position become permanent, can someone advise me to my rights? Can the school advertise internally or should I be appointed without further interview?

I'm eager to hear your thoughts..

Ben

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

No, because there is no permanent vacancy. There is still a substantive post-holder.
    The school can choose what to do, according to its own policies. That will be a decision for the SLT and governors.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I think part of the equation is to do with the Head of Year who was seconded to Acting Assistant Head.
    Presumably the Assistant Head became Acting Deputy & the Deputy became Acting Head.
    Because what if once a new head is appointed they're from outside the school. Then everyone who acted up (including you) needs to take a step back down to their previous (and permanent) role.
    If a new Head has been appointed then perhaps you should be speaking to management about your concerns. If you still have an Acting Head then I think you need to wait till that role is permanently filled and see what changes it brings with it.