1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acting Head of Department - What Next?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by c1lake, Dec 11, 2018.

1. c1lake

c1lake New commenter

I am wondering what happens after a school offers you an acting head of department role. If you have done it for one year and do not wish to continue, is there an option?

Of course the school can decide whether to offer this to you permanently, but can you offer to decline the role?

If you were to decline the role, what would that mean for your teaching position. Can someone return to their previous role? However, what if that role has been filled?

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Acting means just that, acting until made permanent. A contract has not been signed by you. You may be asked if you want to continue and can say no. You should be allowed to return to your previous role.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Assuming that you are acting HoD in your own school,your own job would only be filled by somebody else on a temporary basis and you would just go back to your own job once finished acting up?

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  4. c1lake

c1lake New commenter

That is a good point.

I am asking on behalf of a colleague. He started in the school part-time and then the HoD stepped down. He got the job as acting HoD. However, he now knows why the previous HoD stood down. In this time they have re-hired and filled his part-time role with a permanent member of staff. Therefore, there is no place available for him to return to. However, he does not want to take on HoD permanently due to the horrific conditions at this particular school.

Where does he go from here?

5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I would in the OP/OPC's shoes (sorry but I never ever believe 'asking for a colleague' :) ) become HoD and let the good this will do on my CV help me find a better school.

sabrinakat, Flanks and FrankWolley like this.
  6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

An ‘acting’ role is a temporary position, usually used when the permanent post holder is absent from work for a long period of time for whatever reason.
    The colleague in the acting role will revert to their previous position and pay when the absent colleague returns. In the event that the permanent colleague does not return, then the colleague can either automatically take over the role permanently or be encouraged to apply. If you don’t want to continue in the position once the temporary contract is over, then you are obliged to step down.
    If the school hired a temporary replacement to cover your original role, then their employment should end.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s a TLR role which is an appendum to your teaching role. If you give it up you retain your teaching role and pay.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I would have thought that in an "acting" role you have every right to return to the original post, and that it would be their problem if they've appointed someone permanent to that. If they wanted to prevent that, they should have made it a permanent promotion not an acting one. These things have to work both ways.

Of course, their solution to the overstaffing might be to give whoever they want least a timetable full of other subjects in twenty different rooms.

(With permanent TLRs, there is no right to return to not having a TLR - in practice, it is often possible to negotiate this, provided there is someone willing to take on the TLR, or a vacancy which can be used to recruit.)

strawbs likes this.
  9. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

We assume that the above person has been paid for running the Department. Not unknown for people to run a department for periods time and not been paid. The usual phrase is it will be good for your career development.

We assume your colleague will have run this problem passed his/her Union at the Region Centre

10. install

install Star commenter

Yes - go back to your old position. You have supported, acted and done your bit. You now wish to return to.your main role. Simply thank people for the opportunity and the experience. :cool: