1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acting deputy

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tafkam, Nov 15, 2011.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, the reason you have given seems a reasonable one for extending the post. Until someone else leaves enabling a more permanent appointment to be made, you may have to hold out.

2. I've been an acting deputy for 3 years and a term - just started my holiday. I have heard that once I have been acting deputy for 4 years then I will automatically be appointed the official Deputy. Does anyone know if this is true? Have tried the union rep at my primary school but she doesn't know and is having trouble finding out.

3. This maybe totally wrong - but a colleague in a different role was informed that once they had acted up for one entire year, then they are deemed to be in that position permanently with regards pay/conditions etc,.....

4. I am not sure what you mean, there are no vacancies? There clearly is a need for an (additional?) dh. If the need has been there for 2 years already and is going into 3rd year, then by now the ht and governors should be restructuring the smt. If the issue is that the school cant take on an additional staff member if they go for an external candidate, then they should be advertising it internally!

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The problem is, DH posts have to be advertised externally by law, so the only options the school has are to wait for a vacancy to appear, or to make a class teacher redundant to make room for a new deputy.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's not quite true tafkam. The Staffing Regulations allow governing bodies to decide not to advertise if they have a "good reason" not to advertise. LAs will often say that the situation you describe can be a "good reason" not to advertise as permitted by the Regulations.