1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acrostic poems with Y1-has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Jul 4, 2010.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi everyone , I am beginning the Poetry unit 3 on the easide tomorrow and am thinking about introducing acrostic poems. I have thought about giving the chn a seaside object- water, sand , shells etcand asking them to create an acrostic poem as a group. This seems quite difficult to me as the chn have to thing of words beginning with a specific letter! Has anyone tried this before? Can you please tell me how you structured and organised this and did it work well?

Advice would be gratefully received.

2. I teach Year 1 and we covered this unit around easter time. We started by doing some shared writing. I wrote my name on the board and they fired words at me to describe me (either my appearance, personality, hobbies...just anything they knew about me!) and we ended up with just a very simple one word for each letter acrostic poem.
    They then did the same for their own names (again...simple one word acrostic poem.) Lower ability did just their first name, higher ability did surname too.
    Then we moved on to doing another shared acrostic poem on the board- describing the other Year 1 teacher, but using more than one word for each line.
    e.g.
    Mrs Smith is marvellous
    Really funny and cool
    She loves to.....

etc! They managed very well with it! Lower ability needed lots of adult support to think of word starting with the right letter, but others coped very well! My highest ability loved it and came up with some great poems!
    The following week we moved on to easter acrostic poems (I think I gave each ability group a word e.g. lowerst group EGG, middle group CROSS, top group EASTER EGG) We started by brainstorming all of the easter words we could think of on the whiteboard. The children could then select any of these words if they wanted to, or use their own.
    So i think they an acrostic poem based on seaside objects would work fine! :) good luck!

3. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Thanks Lucy!

4. Wow THANK YOU Lucy! :)

5. I always find children pick this up much more easily than I'd expect.
    I'd do as Lucy did and brainstorm lots and lots of words on the board altogether (OR the IWB, then you can just send it to print lots of times and have instant word mats for each table).

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My year 2 wrote bonfire night acrostics.

Least able: Single word acrostics

Middle ability: Short descriptive words/phrases

Most able: Similes and metaphors (though we didn't actually use those terms.)

I would think year 1, with lots of building up and support could do similar.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Chrisie22

Chrisie22 New commenter

Hi,

Do you have any advise on differentiating for SEN pupils? Doing an acrostic poem based on Ramadan. Also any extension ideas to challenge HA ability? Thanks