1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acronyms and Letters of Application

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MisterMaker, Feb 2, 2012.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

The International School of Western Sahara (ISWS) is a wonderful school. ISWS pays high salaries equivalent to 1 1/2 camels per year.

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I think you are right to query the accepted protocol in this respect, probably because I'm not sure there is a protocol.
    My own school is commonly refered to by its initials, however a member of the SMT told me he does not like applicants using this.
    I think refering to the school in its full name the first time it is mentioned within your application, and then including the abbreviated form you will use for the remainder of your application in brackets seems acceptable.
    ...Does that make sense?
    e.g.
    'I have noticed with interest that The Modern British International School of Ruritania (MBISR) has a vacancy for *********' and then just use MBISR from then onwards.
    I would not advise this if you happen to be applying to the 'Central University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne' or anything similar.
    Hope that helps