1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acknowledgement of notice to leave.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pomegranate_1975, Feb 27, 2020.

1. pomegranate_1975

pomegranate_1975 New commenter

Good morning everyone!

Just a question/opportunity to vent...

I handed my notice in on Tuesday this week - I wrote a letter to the Head explaining why I was leaving. I am actually leaving the profession.

I have had no response to that from the Head. Not even thank you and good luck. Personally, I find it rude and petty that after a 20 year career I don't even get an acknowledgement. What do you think, would you be bothered by this?

I am over the moon to be leaving, so in some ways I let it wash over me.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have never had acknowledgement of notice at the point of handing it in. That came at the end of term staff bash.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I think I did, but these days people seem generally ruder (if posts here are anything to go by!)

ajrowing and notreallyme75 like this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Yes you should have an acknowledgement at least. Otherwise what happens if they claim they have never received it?

5. venny414

venny414 New commenter

From memory, I have only had a couple of occasions where I've received an acknowledgement in writing from the Head. They tended to be very formal without any reference to my future plans (and so it should be really).

Having said that, I've had a few instances where I've not had a written acknowledgement. However my job being promptly advertised the day after has been enough for me to realise they've accepted my notice!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Check with admin that it was actually read then get on with your plans for the future. You're not still expecting someone to thank you are you? It has been your job, you've been paid to do it and you say you're glad to be leaving - that's enough.

corgie11, jlishman2158 and TheoGriff like this.
  7. pomegranate_1975

pomegranate_1975 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your advice.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The Head may not even have read it yet.
    I would give it until tomorrow and then check by means of their PA whether it has been read.
    Although it comes across as rude and I think an acknowledgement would be useful, it might be the case they are embarrassed themselves to openly acknowledge it, even if they are paid for that sort of thing!

TheoGriff likes this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

When I handed in my notice to retire, the Head came to visit me at lunchtime the same day and thanked me profusely for my contribution to the school. She seemed very happy - perhaps it was the thought of swapping a top of the UPR teacher for somebody near the bottom of the main range!

10. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

Probably true about the money saving, but at least this HT had the good manors and professionalism to speak to you directly and to thank you for your years of service to education. I am sure that there are still some decent ones out there, but there are also plenty who are not worth either the wages or the respect of the profession. The OP is delighted to be leaving and their HT would do well to remember that how they treat the OP reflects on the quality of their leadership and this will be noted by other staff at the school. A few well chosen words and actions by this HT, even if not sincere, can go a long way in building positive and productive relationships with their staff.

11. letap

letap Occasional commenter

As well you know OP - whatever the head has not done does not define what you have done over the last 20 years. If anything - the head, as the lead communicator at your school has probably given you the best rationale as to why you are choosing to leave the profession.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Should have handed in your notice via email and requested a 'read receipt'. It's much easier and quicker for the head to do and so s/he'll be more inclined to do it promptly.

As someone else said, the head may not have even seen it yet.

josepea, HolyMahogany and Pomza like this.
  13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Exactly. Do this.

josepea likes this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

It's a job- no more no less now. Some hts see their teachers as spare parts. I am sorry but I will never forget when I encountered a soon to be retired teacher crying. When I asked why she said the ht hadn't even thanked her for never ever missing a day's work in 30 yrs.

The teacher decided to make no speech and stuck to a quiet gathering of colleagues away from school.

15. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

this happened to a colleague of mine and it eventually got acknowledged but the h/t asked the person to stay longer as they were unable to recruit for an Easter start, despite an 8 week notice period being given??? I thought it was rather odd but maybe it's a common thing.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  16. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Are you talking about leaving in the summer or Easter? Maybe your head is considering to offer you a deal to stay longer/may want to discuss your decision and hasn't quite got around to arranging a meeting to speak with you about it?

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm just pondering on the potential requirement that we make it easy for a Head Teacher to thank us for doing a very hard job.
    I suppose similarly, next time my birthday is about to happen I should give all my friends and family some wrapping paper and tape.

PGCE_tutor, Ohwell and ajrowing like this.
  18. makras

makras Occasional commenter

Are things in England really that bad? Can't you teachers talk directly with your ht, slt, governors, masters or whomever is ruling over you?
    Usually when a member of staff leaves a school, the school prepares some kind of leaving do.
    Does that not happen in your school.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No requirement at all.
    But if you are the kind of person who wants some kind of acknowledgement, then using modern and efficient means of communication would make sense.

20. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I'm old school.
    I always write an acknowledgement letter and include in that something that acknowledges the contribution the leaver has made. Why wait until the end of term?

livingstone83 likes this.