1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acknowledgement of failure in a job application

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lydiacook2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I have just finished my PGCE and am now applying for jobs. I had a bad experience in my second and (what I thought was) final placement and they failed me, but have now successfully retaken this final placement.

My question is, when applying for jobs, should I mention this second placement? Obviously I would not do so in a negative way, but there are some positives that I can draw from it. It definitely made me a stronger person as I wanted to prove to the school that I could do it! And I did!

I am aware that employers will question why I have done three placements during my PGCE and why it has taken me 15 months to complete it. I have acknowledged the placement on my application form because it is, of course experience. I want to be honest and would be in person, but on first impressions in an application should I talk about this experience or ignore it? Mentioning the failure might make me appear to be a weaker teacher, but ignoring it might arouse suspicion as to why I have ignored it?

As you can tell, I am probably worrying about this too much, but I am just conscious not to let my second placement hinder me in any way when it comes to getting jobs. Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks, Lydia Cook

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Personally, I wouldn't acknowledge the failure (and I certainly wouldn't call it that!) on the application form. When you are at interview, I would talk freely about it, concentrating on how it made you a more reflective practitioner.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Provide the information as required on forms do not try to hide anything. If they they ask for your teaching practices then provide full details. Some forms will just ask for the ITT course you have undertaken. Your period of training will anyway indicate that you have experienced an extension and the college reference is also likely to reflect this.