1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aching legs

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Lilyofthefield, Apr 4, 2011.

1. I can't diagnose your disorder for you but one of the reasons I'm going to go back on HRT is the return of the various niggling aches and pains. My whole leg aches for nothing. I haven't taken up pole-vaulting, I don't hop, and it isn't the old knee playing up. Ditto my shoulder. The aching went away during the year I was on HRT. Might be coincidence but I shall shortly find out.

2. I think you might have something there lily. I had an aching shoulder which was really painful but came and went over a couple of years. It seemed to be related to menopause in that it was worse when I should have been having a period. Doctor said 'go and get something herbal' from Holland Barratt (very dismissive).. However I took him at his word and started taking Black Cohosh (I can't have HRT 'cos I had a heart attack a few years back). Within two weeks the aching shoulder had completely gone. I didn't really believe it, so stopped taking it and ithe pain came back. I took the black cohosh again for 3 months solid and I've never had the pain back since. I've been in menopause for about 5 years now and I've had aches, often quite severely in my feet, legs and one shoulder. If you are in the right age group I'd try something like this.

3. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Did this last night - hadn't thought to look before! Judging by the results, it's varicose veins, although I think I'm menopausal too - never rains but it pours! What's an FSH test? I'll probably still go to the doctor for advice about the varicose veins.

4. Only the usual: never cross your legs at the knee, keep them up whenever you can, don't stand for long periods, take a brisk walk every hour or do those squeezy exercises you do on the plane, avoid hot baths and wear proper support tights!

5. I think you'll find it isn't a coincidence lily. I was on HRT for three years and thought I ought to come off it, I didn't get the hot flushes again so thought I'm through it! Over a few months I noticed aches and pains, hadn't appreciated the benefit my main concern was stopping the flushes. Spoke to my physio, I mentioned my HRT history and she said, why not go back on and see how it goes. So I did and the aches and pains have definitely lessened, so fingers crossed.
    (As my male GP said the main worry with HRT is getting all us 50 year olds off the stuff!)