1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Achievment vs. attainment..

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by canofcarrots, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Had this at an interview today..sorta ballsed it up. They asked what the difference was?
    I said I would not like to polarise them. Wrong I know! Any thoughts?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm probs talking sh!te as usual but is achievement not something a pupil can feel a sense of, by virtue of 'being', for example a pupil meets their daily target: do not hit another pupil. Is attainment not more focussed on successful achievement. In this case they might attain a merit for not having hit another pupil.
    <u>Dictionary definitions</u>
    achievement: the act of accomplishing something
    attainment:the act of achieving an aim

3. Aye, your bang on. Just had this feeling in the interview of what a totally pointless question. What purpose does it serve? Can I teach? Yes. Have I dealt with challanging situations? Yes. Have I raised pupil's marks and contributed to the wides school? Yes. What's the diff' between attainment and achievment? Blah, blah, blah is what I said. Well, didnae get that one.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You should have said: Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb. That usually seals the deal. [​IMG]

Joking aside, the amount of hair splitting that goes on in education is a pain in the erse. I'm sure many people will disagree with me here and proceed to enlighten us all as to why it is IMPORTANT to know the difference between attainment and achievement. I suppose there is a subtle difference in meaning between the two words.
    Much like the difference between: 'well done' and 'go on yersel'.
    Was it a job interview or simply another supply interview?

5. It was supply - I mean - interview for supply? Plus the added bonus of you may get picked for long-term ... etc...etc...
    The ball is defintely in their court at the moment.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In that case they are unlikely to penalise you for fumbling over one little blouse button of a question. I totally effed up one of my answers not so long ago, and much to my delight I was permitted to add my name to the list. I'm sure it'll be fine [*]

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Probably not that bad a stab at it.
    Attainment = results, STACS statistics etc.
    Achievement = the wider curriculum, personal fulfilment, helping grannies across the road, personal developmentr etc etc.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Aha, I thought I'd heard the sound of squeaky, well polished boot leather [​IMG] Hello master.
    yes, meant to say earlier, as I'm in a pedantic kind of mood, attainment can be measured externally, whereas achievement or a sense of achievement can be measured internally, by the person themselves . . . something like that at any rate

9. Taught for years in Canada and never heard of such hair-splitting till I came here. Must be something in the water.

10. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Indeed CG and the water would have a high electolytic content (aka p*sh). It's a product of the insane obsession with measurable results (and school / teacher accountability) that has dominated things over here in the past decade and more.
    'Scuse me. Have to go and flex my riding crop!

11. Thank god there are some sane folk around. Ok - they have to ask these questions (don't know why really?) and to be honest in my mind I am thinking - what a lot of sh!te - but you have to dance to their tune.
    Did my answer prove I was a good/bad teacher - no - of course it did not. Just another example of the psychobabble that is around at the moment.

12. What is the difference between Stork margarine and butter?

13. Stork can spread its wings and butter can't?
    These snow days can be sooo boring................

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Aw come on . . . .Stork tastes sh!te, and butter is brilliant.

15. Tasting sh!te is not one of my achievements, neither is it high on my list of things to attain [​IMG]

16. Depends if its an achievement or attainment kinda school - what was their ethos? where they the kinda school that getting 90% a*-c at gcse (sorry didnt see if it was secondary or primary?) is the most important thing to them or are they the kinda school who wants their pupils to achieve their own personal goals - doesnt matter if they dont all get brilliant gcse's but little Fred who couldnt read for balls when he started in the first year can now read really well?
    This is a tricky question (esp if i got asked it) cos i really think the attainment counts for *** all really - its the pupils achievements they do each day, each term, each year that mean something to me,
    Im a trainee primary teacher and it cheeses me off that when a child who starts off at lvl 1 reading/ writing achieves so much in the year by getting a lvl 2c doesnt get any real recognition of that achievement because he's still under the national attainment lvl he should be at! thats why attainment sucks cos it has nothing to do with personalised learning so i'd be screwed if i went to an interview at a school driven by attainment, lol

17. Believe it or not it was a general supply interview.

18. Getting seriously hacked off with the amount of p!sh being talked about in Scottish Education. Perhaps they can come up with a wonderful new word/phrase to describe an eduaction system that has been messed about so much that is now inherently broken. Oh they have! It's the Curriculum for Excellence.

19. What is the difference between my a rse and my elbow?