1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Achieving QTS - Maths - Please Read!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by NewToTA, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Hi there!
    I hope I'm posting in the right place as I just want some advice!
    I start a part time Primary PGCE soon &I've been told I need to brush up on my maths before starting the course & have an 'achieving qts' book I need to read before contacting & meeting with the course leader, BUT it's so hard!

Maths was never my strongest subject:), but I''m sure I don't remember doing half of this at school. It takes me ages to get my head around each bit & I'm only on chapter 3! Am I doomed to failure already??

Even when I understand a topic and can work out the answers for myself, I don't think I could sit down & have a conversation with someone about all the technical terms!

Just wondered how hard it is on the course / how much you're expected to know? I am seriously worried - I knew the course would be challenging but I'm not sure I can handle this!
    Thanks

2. Thanks for the reply!
    No not Haylock, its Mooney et al. Its actually not a difficult read per se but it's quite heavy going as one who does panic a bit about maths. For me 'technical' mean knowin things like: equality can be reflexive, symmetric & transitive & having to remember what it means!!

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You need to filter these out a bit!

I'm a maths teacher and I've just looked those up.. I can see you'd need to know all about them if you were teaching International Baccalaureate, but I don't recall even needing those definitions when teaching A level further maths.

If you're teaching primary, I can only guess you've got some very bright 11 year olds to deal with!

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

As someone that considers themself reasonably good at maths (A at GCSE, found the maths content of PGCE very easy and don't find teaching maths tricky in terms of concepts), let me reassure you I have no idea what that sentence means either. Are you ever going to teach a child that phrase?! If not then you probably don't need to know the terms either....

5. I might be wrong about the questions being multiple choice .

However there'slLots of stuff on tda website too.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/trainee-teacher/qts-skills-tests/numeracy/~/media/resources/qts-skills-tests/numeracy_practice_paper_2.pdf.

Good luck.

6. I'd be more worried about whether you can teach maths than about whether you can pass the skills test. Most of the stuff on the numeracy test is stuff I remember doing in Y6/Y7 and the rest was no higher than Y9. Could you get hold of a tutor, maybe?

7. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

If the rules are the same as when I took mine in 2006, you can take the test as many times as you need until you pass it. I took mine twice. You have until the end of the NQT year to pass it, otherwise you cannot pass Induction.
    My maths was always weaker than my English, but for some reason I find that teaching maths is easier than teaching Literacy- very strange.