1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Achieving outstanding in nursery.

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by tracer24, May 11, 2013.

1. Hello we have recently had an ofsted inspection. We did not get outstanding because we did not have 40% or above of our children reaching secure in 40-60 months. This is mainly because of the way the EYFS is written. In some subjects the children were achieving this but in Literacy they could not because they would need to be writing in sentences. Our children are with us fo 15 hours a week. We do not teach writing in a formal way. A few children can write some words and are using their phonic knowledge to write but no where near 40% and certainly none of them are writing sentences. The inspector suggested that we had to think of it as best fit and the children would not have to be able to do that but to me best fit for these children is secure within 30-50 and working within 40-60. Are there any Early Years inspectors out there? Also how would the schools feel having 40% of their intake already achieving 40-60 as they also have to show 2 stages progress to achieve outstanding?

2. Sounds like the inspector was spot on with the judgement. If you don't teach writing in a formal way and none are writing sentences, then the ELGs are not being met are they? The writing ELG reads as follows :

children use their phonic knowledge to write words in ways which match their spoken sounds.

They also write some irregular common words.

They write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others.

Some words are spelt correctly and others are phonetically plausible.

It sounds like your curriculum at the moment might not be giving children the opportunity to meet the ELGs, but it's difficult to tell without being on site.

3. May2

May2 Established commenter

I don't think Robby read your post title correctly to see you were in Nursery. I totally agree with you and think OFSTED are ridiculous expecting that from some who are still 3 years old. I just think we have been put in an impossible situation with the new EYFS and Ofsted inspections. We got Requires improvement and all they and our SIP keep going on about is Literacy. I had the best group for a long time at phonics and they were nearly all writing their names and forming letters well but as for writing sentences or even writing words independently no way, and I would not expect Nursery to. I don't agree this is age appropriate.

I also have a problem with them wanting to see every child making progress all the time during C.I. Ofsted have taken away the fun in teaching Nursery children.

4. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

5. No teams are data led. Certainly none I've ever heard of. Schools sometimes complain of data led inspections, but that's because they don't get the outcome they hoped for from an inspection. Your data does actually look like it's outstanding anyway!!

6. All teams are data led Robbie. You can tell them the story behind the data when they arrive but the data is their starting point. 40 to 60 months is what they should be entering in reception so they got it wrong saying 40% should be at that level in the nursery. That is unless they entered the nursery way up in 30-50 months so need to be showing some progress.