1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Achieving A* in A-Level Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pwc9000, Jan 17, 2011.

1. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

First, do I understand correctly the rules for getting A* in A-Level:
    a) get an A
    b) get 90%+ in A2 units

So how does this apply to a student whose A-Level Maths units are C1-4 and two of D1,S1,M1?
    Does b) above only apply to C3 and C4?
    Or does one of the applications get counted as an A2 unit? If so can either count? Or does matter when they were taken?

Thanks.

2. Good question.
    I think there are plans afoot to abridge C3 and C4 to make allow longer, more synoptic quesions, so that the 90% can't be achieved with just straight forwards stuff by the way, so perhaps it will apply just to this abridged module.
    Might be best to ask your exam board directly but whatever the answer is for this year, beware, it is likely to be different next year.

3. It doesn't matter which optional modules are taken, to get an A* 90%+ average in C3 and C4 is all that is needed.

4. DM

DM New commenter

As kirbatron said, you need to achieve 180 UMS over the two modules C3 and C4 and 300 UMS over the remaining 4 modules.

5. You need a total of 180 UMS or more on C3/C4 and at least 480 UMS overall, so you can get the A star with less than 300 on the other units.

6. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

Thanks for the replies

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I thought it was over 90% on C3 and over 90% on C4 - this is useful.
    In Further Maths is it an average of over 90% on FP1 and FP2? My information source seems a touch unreliable!

8. I may be going nuts but IIRC the combo of the following was OK
    <u>For A level Mathematics</u>
    (C3 OR C4) + M2 (or onwards) Over 90% in any <u>2</u> of those
    (C3 OR C4) + S2 (or onwards) Over 90% in any <u>2</u> of those
    (C3 OR C4) + D2 Over 90% in any <u>2</u> of those
    <u>For A level Pure Mathematics</u>
    (C3 OR C4) + FP2 Over 90% in any <u>2</u> of those
    (C3 OR C4) + FP3 Over 90% in any <u>2</u> of those
    That was Edexcel. I may have been dreaming it..can't remember. It was the whole idea of 90% in A2 units rather than C3/4 per se [​IMG]

9. DM

DM New commenter

Yes so I suppose the other extreme scenario might be full marks on C3 and C4 and 280 UMS over the 4 remaining modules.

10. Thanks for the clairty gents [​IMG]

11. As well as the potential for 1 UMS to cause a 2 grade change, another quirk we found with the rules was how to explain to centres that where a student has been awarded A*+B for Maths and Further, it is impossible to change this to A+A. If an A* has been attained in Maths then no amount of swapping stats/mech/decision units around will make it an A (it would become a B or lower) since it's C3 and C4 that add the star.
    For this reason, the JCQ wrote to Uni admissions tutors explaining it all, including mentioning how making offers of A+A can tempt students to drop Further and do another subject entirely.
    Kevin