1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ACHIEVE - a bug ger of a word

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Jan 28, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

My Chambers dictionary defines the word thus:
    to bring to a successful outcome; to perform, to accomplish; to win; to end

I suppose the second definition fits EYs well enough. But is it realistic or appropriate to think of developmental matters in terms of 'achievement'? What impact does such an attitude have on us as teachers when we are judged by our Betters?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

No, this is not an essay title - just a stray idea to throw into the pot.

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Achievement however is not Attainment. That is where you get a GLD in the EYE FS that is, wherease achievement is often more like, ah, paining a nice picture, or getting lots of stickers. (Or vice versa) And if you get a real lot of stickers that means you are probably a bit of a pest. Because as every child over the age of seven knows, only pests get stickers.
    Did that help?

4. Successful outcome for whom ? Is it the child, the teacher or S.I.P.Crackitt et al ?

5. Achievement - it's something that figures large in some adults' thinking but barely registers in the child's consciouness - hopefully. Recognising achievement is part of the adult's job in the early years, bur an over-emphasis can spawn targets for children - yuck.
    A child having an 'I can do it' moment is fine. It's a moment of surprise, self-dicovery and pleasure. But an "I can do what you keep asking me to do' moment? No thanks. Of course, a child's 'I can do it' moment can coincide with an adult's "I hope they can.." and thats all fine, as long as the adult's pre-occupations don't get in the way of them noticing all the moments of learning along the way.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh no! I'd forgotten all about my baby SIP Crackitt. Not to mention his sister...

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

OO Thumbie you have put your thumb on something there!
    All those targets and er, next steps. It's all Adult Initiated innit? That is the contradiction causing us all so much grief at the moment.
    Now SIP Crackitt and Ms Zarg - are they endangered species at the moment do you think (hope).