1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ACfE Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by airy, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Actually, that's a question I've heard being asked - how does your work as an English teacher fulfil the principles of CfE. The important thing to remember is that CfE isn't about all the outcomes but about teaching methodology - how do you provide choice/motivate pupils/give them chances to take responsibility for their own learning. I've heard questions about how you will help children achieve the four capacities too. It's possible you might get asked about cross curricular work too and watch out for questions about your new responsibilities as a teach of numeracy and H&W too.
    Find one positive thing about it that you really believe and focus on that.

2. Think about what you do in English - You would look at issues, relationships, values raised in the texts studied - texts open up the world to pupils - exposes them to different values and ideas; places and people; cultures and beliefs. English lessons provide a forum for pupils to 'make sense' of their own thoughts and opinions - provides them with a safe place where they can explore their own opinions, have them challenged and learn about other views of the world. English provides pupils with the skills to challenge what they read/hear/see and to understand how and when they are being manipulated by others. So English has always been about leading pupils towards becoming more 'rounded' individuals CfE has just made that process more explicit.
    I would also expect to be asked about how to ensure pupils progress and Aifl which is after all a major part of CfE. Often have been asked to give an example of a 'successful lesson/unit of work etc.
    Also what do you think you bring to a school/department etc.
    I'm sorry if this isn't what you really wanted I am only just getting my brain back into thinking mode.
    Good Luck

3. Thanks, folks- that's just the sort of info I needed to get my brain working again. Now if only the interview was a typed essay whereby I could relate all of this in a sophisticated and coherent manner, rather than the garbled form that it will no doubt turn into when I'm sitting in front of an interview panel. Cheers.

4. You could, of course, watch Dead Poets' Society . . .
    Teaching interviews are sh!te, but let's not go there.
    Best advice I got was, in answering a question, try to think what you would actually do in that situation. So, for example, if they ask you what you would do when a pupil starts kicking off, they want to see you attempt to handle it yourself, assertive discipline wrt pupil etc, then the PT may get involved, then guidance etc, finding out more about pupils' background. You get the idea, skew it round to what you're comfy with. esp for CfE.
    You will of course, let us know?

5. one to watch out for too is that the ppl interviewing you know cfe has it's issues, I had feedback from an interview saying that I said was really positive on cfe question but they wanted to hear more on what I though were potential drawbacks/difficulties not just the good.

Again all just depends on school, person interviewing you as to what they want to hear.. Will be different for different schools - speak to people if you don't know anyone from the school/authority to find out how far down the line the are with cfe; some are really pro it others not so and you can judge your balance of answer on that.

Hope that makes sense, good luck

6. But if you identify one also identify a strategy for overcoming it.

7. Apologies- how rude of me to ask for help and neglect to follow it up. I didn't get the job. However, since it was my first interview I'm not giving myself too hard a time about it. I was asked five questions, and when I was given feedback I was told that I answered three of the questions well, whilst two of the questions were not answered particularly well. One of the questions that I apparently didn't answer well was about how I would implement the principles of ACfE in the classroom! However, I was glad of the constructive criticism and I will be better-equipped for Round 2. Although when, exactly, Round 2 will be is anyone's guess at his stage. Thanks for all of the help.

8. CfE questions are a total ***, because no-one knows what answer they actually want! Every single CfE question I've been asked has been fuzzy as ****. Scuse my French.

For next time, try and insert (as naturally as you can haha) these points and how you address them in your teaching:

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Confident Individuals

Effective
    Contributors

Normal

false
    false
    false

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

Responsible Citizens

Normal

false
    false
    false

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

Successful Learners

9. Good grief. I cut and pasted those from my interview notes. No idea why all that other stuff showed up. It's the bold type you need to be looking at - ignore all the other gubbins.