1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accused of lying

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jdavie41, Oct 31, 2018.

1. jdavie41

jdavie41 New commenter

Dear all.

I had taken a few days off sick. When I returned to work I was summoned to the heads office for a return to work meeting even though my line manager was absent from school. He was allowed to have a person in the room to safeguard himself but I was not given the same privilege.

The head bombarded me with personal questions stating what was the nature of your absence, when did you see the doctor, what medication are you on etc. Even though the school policy clearly states that there is no need for a doctors ceritificate if are are absent for seven days I was still asked to supply one because my absence was considered suspicious. Reason being that I had sent an email on Wednesday morning stating that I would not be in school, however the head claimed that I sent it the night before.

Could someone advise me on whether I should get the union involved even though I am considering leaving the school anyway?

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I would definitely get onto the union. I have often sent an email in the night before - if you had a fever, or been vomiting, or broken your leg, then that is what you would do, when you had time to consider the work you were sending in and you would not need to get up at the crack of dawn to contact them.
    It sounds odd.
    No wonder you are considering leaving - but you haven't left yet, so yes, union suport needed here.
    PS I hope you feel better now.

3. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

I would seek union advice, too.

It will be very easy for you to show when you sent your email. The date and time will be recorded on it, won't it?

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Do you still have the email in your send part? If so that will give you the time when the email was sent, actual evidence if you sent it in the morning. If you sent it the night before so what, you were ill!

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The email and when you sent it is immaterial to the meeting being called. You state they had somebody else with them so clearly this was meant to be a formal meeting in line with procedure. So I wondered if it is in connection with the dilemma you poted about being summoned, again, to a meeting with the HT and one other back in June.
    I think your post focuses on the manner of this latest meeting, which looks to have been delivered insensitively and unprofessionally.
    However, you ought to elaborate on the context due to the previous post in June, which i'm not sure you ever returned about.

Surely this is part of a process, not just about this one absence? You don't really give a full picture.

Rott Weiler and Flanks like this.
  6. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

And also so that work know at the earliest possible opportunity that they will need to arrange cover.

7. Dyathinkhesaurus

Dyathinkhesaurus New commenter

I once messaged my line manager the night before, because I'd spent most of the evening sat on the loo, holding a bucket. My text read, simply, "The Norovirus has caught up with me. See you in 48 hours."

8. install

install Star commenter

Did you follow the sick/illness policy? Get hold of it and see. Some expect the ill person to phone in and state clearly their illness. If you did,.does this match what you said on your return?

This does sound Outrageous though. And the ht may see you as an easy target for some reason
    So see Union urgently - this sounds like intimidation. Next time you are ever with the ht request for the Union rep to be present (or a trustworthy colleague) and more so if a surprise meeting is sprung on you again. If the ht should verbalky request a meeting with you,.then ask they put it in writing and to state the reason for the meeting. Share with your Union and again get advice.

Also - Reading between the lines - sounds like someone has been gossiping to the extent that the ht is implying you were not ill? :cool: