1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accusations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Laura2288, Nov 16, 2011.

1. I feel completely deflated. I've done 3 days of supply for a school independently, 2 of those days were in year 6. I had a phone call this morning saying there was an issue and could I think of what it was? No, I couldn't. I thought the class were good, I enjoyed the 2 days with them. Apparently, one of the children is accusing me of telling him/her to shut up and saying 'oi you' instead of using their name. I just cannot believe it. I use the phrase 'be quiet' to the whole class, or just a general 'shhh' but never shut up and with children's names, when I speak to them, if I don't know their name I ask them before they speak. The parent of the child has complained. I just feel completely down, this isn't the sort of teacher I am and I never realised what a vulnerable position you are put in as a supply teacher. I've requested that I don't teach that class again.
    I didn't do anything wrong but yet I feel awful. Has anyone else been in this position?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

***. I am that teacher. Often found yelling 'oi you' down the corridor. :p

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If my child told me that a teacher told them to shut up I wouldn't be impressed, but I'd be more annoyed that they had needed telling off and wouldn't complain. Don't go back to that school as it sounds a big fuss over nothing, especially as you say you didn't do it.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

What we have to remember is that the child generating the accusation is probably, nay, definitely, the most precious little angel ever whelped, they can do NO wrong, should never, ever be on the receiving end of a reprimand because they are perfect and the whole world and his wife are in error if they do not recognise these facts. This little angel is also adept at manipulating parents to get what they want.
    A mother told me once that her 7 year old son was incapable of lying. Yeah, right, all pigs primed and ready to fly.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

There are many different ways of saying "shut up"; it all depends on the context and the tone of voice. Once I have exhausted "stop talking, thank you", "be quiet" and other variations, then I quite often resort to "just shut up", said quite sweetly. Nobody has ever complained. It is almost always directed at a particularly obnoxious child.
    If you ever do get embroiled in some incident, it is horrible and I do dwell on such things to the point that it dominates all my waking thoughts. You have my sympathy.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with "Oi!" to attract attention if you don't know someone's name.
    In fact, I used it this very day to attract the attention of one boy trying to throttle another. Context, you see. And I didn't say it sweetly, I bellowed.

7. so agree - a yr 2 pupil came into school with her mother and grabbed my sleeve and said 'here she mummy you tell her off ' I looked with horror as the child stood with her hands on her hips whilst the mother (rather sheepishly) proceeded to tell me that her daughter was cross with me because she was not a hypochondriac. I moved away from the child into a side room out of the childs earshot. This child has a habit of 'not feeling well' if she is not choosen to be a lineleader/moniter/asked to answer/read her work out to class/ etc the previous day she had not been chosen to be playground leader (she was one 2wks ago) she then had tummy ache to which I said to the SEN assistant NOT to her 'bit of a hypochondriac me thinks'
    I listen to mum and politely explained that her daughter found 'sharing' jobs with other children a challenge and her disappointment resulted in a tummy ache - and I was happy to call her every time she developed these pains (a call every day might make her think twice)

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I personally see nothing wrong with saying "shut up". I have employed this phrase when all other requests failed. It would produce expressions of wounded indignation, but I would then tell pupils, "You were being rude to me, did you like me being rude to you?" They always agreed it was impolite from both directions.
    We have some delicate little flowers in our schools if "shut up" generates a parental complaint. If this is the worst thing a child ever hears, then he is extremely fortunate.

9. Have you kept your Union involved? I ask because I was accused of something over a year ago and it was dealt with and thrown out (as it should have been). A couple of months ago I was accused of something different (something which I didn't do and can prove that the opportunity to do what i said isn't there). Anyway, it seems as if this accusation has come from idle gossip about the previous (and the fact that I clearly wasn't wanted in the school!). Just keep your union involved as you never know what could happen.

When they said that they had spoken to you about your behavior in class, did they say that this constituted a warning or if the incident has been recorded? If not, it may be worth asking your union to find out.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

A moronic parent told me that all teachers were jealous of her daughter because she was so beautiful. We weren't; she wasn't.
    Another one, equally moronic, made life hell for a maths teacher because daddy's little angel couldn't understand something and obviously it was the teacher's fault. Of course, the management caved in, but the teacher is now in the sweet land of vindication - and as for daddy's little angel, well who cares?