1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accrued leave during maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dessie82, May 3, 2011.

1. Do teachers in Wales accrue leave whilst on matenrity leave? If so how do I go about getting this entitlement? Do I have to take it as leave or would I be entitled to a payback?

2. Do teachers in Wales accrue leave whilst on matenrity leave? If so how do I go about getting this entitlement? Do I have to take it as leave or would I be entitled to a payback?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I´d be very surprised indeed if any schoolteachers anywhere in UK got accrued leave while on maternity leave, since holidays for teachers are at set times. It´s not like working in the private employment sector in offices or similar where you get, for example, 5 weeks´ holiday per year and usually do accrue it during maternity.
    In the private sector you also usually get your holiday allowance extended if you are sick during a period when you are on leave. That doesn´t happen for schoolteachers either!
    I am carefully saying "schoolteachers" here, as things may well be different in some FE Colleges where the Silver Book Conditions of Service were lost many many moons ago.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Things still aren't clear... but actually there have been some moves towards this occurring Griff.

http://www.lge.gov.uk/lge/aio/707500

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Yes, in the same way as everyone is legally entiteld to accrue leave at the statutory minimum rate.
    It's quite possible that you'll have already used it up before going on maternity leave. For example, if we presume that the leave year runs April to April, and you go on maternity leave in September, then you will have used up your 24... 28.. 30 - whatever number of days the legal minimum is these days - in the summer holidays. Alternatively, you might use them up in the summer after you came back.
    Either way, the only time any teacher might feasibly be entitled to some payback would be if they left teaching immediately after their maternity leave and somehow earnt more holiday than they'd used up in their final year's teaching. That's a very rare occurence, since we get around 3 times the statutory minimum holiday.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that all 3 of us are saying the same thing in different ways. Yes you accrue it. But no you probably won't get it because the school holidays have taken it all up anyway . . . Tafkam, what happens with the unpaid maternity leave? That presumably cannot accrue paid holiday?

7. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

The legislation on this has changed, but I'm not clear on it.
    A colleague HT had a member of staff return from Maternity leave at the beginning of this academic year. HR instructed him to give her some paid leave during term time after her return. Its one of those things I keep meaning to clarify with HR because I've got a memeber of staff on mat leave at the moment.

Best thing for the OP to do is ask thie rown HR department

8. In Wales, no.
    In Scotland, yes.