1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accredited non GCSE courses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shy anne, Jul 21, 2012.

1. I am not sure if this is the best forum for this query but here goes!
    When a colleague of mine looked at her new timetable on the last day of term (we always receive the timetables for next year at this late stage, wonder why!) she found that she has been given a Y10 class of disaffected boys for several hours a week and has no idea what she should be teaching them! In Y9 they did an accredited course run for several years previously but it is one of the vocational ones which are no longer accredited so it was decided that they would complete the work in a year, submit their portfolios and not continue into Y10. However, the boys are at the low end of ability, disengaged with learning and rather challenging so it was not appropriate to slot them back into the GCSE options which their peers study at those times. So my friend has to teach them something but no one in school was being very helpful with suggesting a suitable course - their old teacher has new responsibilities and is not teaching any vocational courses next year. Some of the group have already been allocated a college placement where they will do taster sessions of a number of different level 1 courses for a morning every week, so it is going to be challening to find a suitable curriculum for them - and no member of SLT was available yesterday to sit down and talk things through which is why my friend left school upset and threatening not to return in September!!
    I said I would try to help her research a suitable course, I had some experience a number of years at running ASDAN courses when the Foundation Learning Tier was first introduced, the courses my school did then, ASDAN bronze and silver were not on the accredited list and so were dropped by the school as it would only offer courses which contributed to the schools GCSe tally. Does anyone know how I can find out what type of courses are currently accredited, I know a lot of BTEC cources have been discredited but I have not kept myself up to date with the latest news. I am not even sure if the FLT even exists today.
    I think my school have delivered ASDAN PSD previously which might be one option but I know my friend would like to look at some more options that might engage these disaffected boys.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. We are based in the West Midlands/Birmingham area if that makes any difference and do have access to mini buses for trips out but I am not sure what budget has been allocated to resource the course.

2. Hiya,
    I work with 14-16 year olds who are at risk of becoming disengaged from school and have to teach vocational courses to them. We are looking at delivering the BTEC Vocational Studies course to our learners which is accredited, a;sp the BTEC Jamie Oliver award and the BTEC Workskills Award. All of these have scope for progression into year 11 where they could do the certificate. We also deliver the PSD Programme, which is the new ASDAN Award.

We also are looking at delivering the wider essential skills in conjunction with the above.

Hope this helps your friend.
    if you want to know any more, please feel free to get in touch with me, My email is nicola.guy@pembrokeshire.gov.uk