1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accountability

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by September, Feb 12, 2012.

1. September

September New commenter

This post has been posted in maths but I feel it is more suitable here.
    In each school the HT is ultimately accountable for the outcome of GCSE Results each August. If the results don't stack up in individual subjects and especially in English and Mathematics then the subject leaders and the class teachers get it in the neck. Subject Leaders get paid less than Leadership so where is the level of accountability for deputies and assistant heads who line manage the subject leaders etc, when the results don't stack up. It would be interesting to find out the level of accountability in your SLT and if you are SLT, do you feel and/or are you made accountable?

2. September

September New commenter

This post has been posted in maths but I feel it is more suitable here.
    In each school the HT is ultimately accountable for the outcome of GCSE Results each August. If the results don't stack up in individual subjects and especially in English and Mathematics then the subject leaders and the class teachers get it in the neck. Subject Leaders get paid less than Leadership so where is the level of accountability for deputies and assistant heads who line manage the subject leaders etc, when the results don't stack up. It would be interesting to find out the level of accountability in your SLT and if you are SLT, do you feel and/or are you made accountable?

3. In my school the deputies who line manage heads of department don't seem to be held in any way accountable for the results each year. My line manager will ask me quite informally about how the results are each August but it seems to be heads of department who are responsible for getting good results. And I think you're right - line managers should be held accountable to some degree too. My line manager didn't seem particularly concerned at all when I explained how poor my mock exam results are and it's easy to see why when it's me who's solely held accountable.