1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accommodation or allowance in Dubai?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by EAPoe, Jul 10, 2018.

1. EAPoe

EAPoe New commenter

Hello all,

I have been offered a 2 bed apartment with all bills paid for in Dubai but I don't know whether to accept that or take the allowance which they are also willing to offer (90aed a year)

Is finding your own place as bad and expensive as everyone says?
    Thank you :)

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

It's pretty easy to find a place and not that hard, but in many locations 90K wont cover a 2 bed, you may have to pay 5K in 'estate agent' fees and pay the whole year up front. In my first year in AD my school paid the year up front and then stopped it from my wages each month, after that I had to sort it myself.

Have a look on Dubizzle - https://dubai.dubizzle.com/en/prope...drooms>=2 AND bedrooms<=2) AND (price<=90000)

and propertyfinder https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/search?bf=2&c=2&l=1&ob=mr&page=1&pt=90000&rp=y

but use google maps to check travel to and from school, traffic in Dubai is ridiculous especially around the marina at rush hour.

3. EAPoe

EAPoe New commenter

We like the look on Remraam because it looks the most family, and pet, orientated. Some of those are 70K and offer 12 cheques; my school will only pay monthly, not a lump sum.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Another thing with the accommodation is that I have to take it for 2 year, which seems long for a place you might not be happy with!

4. markedout

markedout New commenter

Personally, i would take the apartment first. I guess you can always move for the second and/or subsequent years if you want to, but you will save yourself a whole load of hassle on arrival. You are likely to be accommodated close to colleagues and that can make transport easier and cheaper too.

5. VS400

VS400 New commenter

EAPoe, which school (without giving away the actual name!) offered you an allowance? If you don’t mind me asking?

6. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

For your own apartment, there's a lot of set up fees, and hassles, and being new to Dubai, and trying to work at the same time as visiting offices all over town to get your electricity and ac switched on, will be unpleasant, confusing and stressful. Besides, I thought you needed your Emirates ID to rent here, and last year some of our new teachers waited til after Xmas for that...
    Take the school apartment, and decide in the year how long you think you will stay. If you're going to do 2-3 years and leave, taking the school apt will prob save you time and hassle.
    Besides, if you get your own apt you prob need to buy furniture, and I mean everything from beds to cookers. And when you leave you have to sell it all. It's not fun..take it from someone who's just done it!