1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accommodation in North Wales

Discussion in 'Personal' started by notmeanymore, Feb 4, 2011.

1. My OH and I would like to visit North Wales in Aug/Sept for a few days. We have never been before and are looking for suggestions for not only areas to stay in, but B&B's or guest houses to stay at. Must be dog friendly as we plan on taking him for some lovely long walks. Any info gratefully received. Thanks.

2. My OH and I would like to visit North Wales in Aug/Sept for a few days. We have never been before and are looking for suggestions for not only areas to stay in, but B&B's or guest houses to stay at. Must be dog friendly as we plan on taking him for some lovely long walks. Any info gratefully received. Thanks.

3. I used to live in North Wales. A place called Llanberis is lovely. Not sure of guest houses / hotels as I stayed in my flat, but there are a few in that area.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A good central location for visiting N Wales is Porthmadog. The town itself is pretty straightforward but pretty much everything you'd want to see in Snowdonia and the Lleyn Peninsula are within easy driving distance. If you want a picturesque and quiet base close to Porthmadog I can recommend Borth-y-gest. Harbour front B&Bs and much dog walking potential there. Nice Bistro but no pub.
    As for destinations - the beaches around Abersoch are worth a look on a good day, there's slate mines at Ffestiniog and a steam railway that takes you there. The Italian style village at Porthmeirion is just round the corner. Harlech Castle is a world heritage site. A bit further down the coast you've got the small resort of Barmouth and a brilliant walking/cycle track (The Mawddach Trail) running across the estuary and down towards Dolgellau. You can also drive along the beach at Black Rock Sands if that's what floats your boat. Obviously there's the Snowdonia National Park with all its crags, waterfalls, footpaths etc as well. I love the place.

5. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Easy. Attach a large white balloon on a long piece of string to the back of your trousers then run around Porthmeirion screaming "I am not a number - I am a free man!"

7. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

8. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I don't know if it is a good or a bad thing but that idea appeals to me....a lot!.[​IMG]

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I live in North Wales, though I have to show my passport as I am English.
    So far as i know portmeirion is VERY exclusive and expensive, definitely does not allow dogs (even with day visitors) and may not even allow kids to stay in their accomodation.
    A reasonable place to start might be www.sykescottages.com where you can put in your requirements including pets. there are other cottage sites which work in the same way. I would not recommend Portmadog as it is a bit of a dump, even though it does have the Ffestinniog railway. A central spot might be around Snowdonia, with Betws-y-Coed being roughly the centre of that, but "North Wales" is not a fantastically big area. If you drive from Chester to Bangor its only about 60 to 70 miles. There may be more accomodation available in the old seaside resorts like Llandudno, Conway, Caernarfon, or you could even stay on Angelsey. There is loads of cottages tucked away in unpronouncable villages e.g. Eglwysbach. I hope any Welsh speakers might forgive me but none of the letters of English seem to be pronounced the same.

10. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Just looked about the dogs and there were 2 of the cottages which allowed one dog but that stopped at the end of Dec. I know what you mean about the price - I would just have gone there for one or two nights at the hotel. There are some of the smaller cottages which are around 300 for 3/4 nights off season. I just like the place as it is like being in a TV film set which is surreal but I also like the setting and all the Italianate architecture. You are next to a cove and the last time I went with the kids, we walked along and found a stretch of sand which was deserted.
    They also did mean veggie pasties at the post office. [​IMG]

I also spent a week at Pwehilli (sp) in the haven caravan site with the kids and had a really good time.Although we made the mistake of going on a really slow steam train to the middle of nowhere up a large hill and then had to wait an hour before we could come back down again with only a Spar shop to retain our sanity.There are some really nice deserted country roads around there with the mountains running at the side.
    I have been camping near Landudno. There are quite a few good campsites.
    Snowdonia and Betws-y-Coed are also favourites.
    I do really like N Wales.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You may be referring to the Welsh Highland railway, which used to stop at a place called Waunfawr which is in the middle of nowhere as you describe. Said railway is now extended all the way to Port Mad Dog though going through some spectacular scenery. At PMD it lands at the same place as the Ffestiniog one. Great for steam saddos like me. I have not been on it yet, but I think it takes about 2 or more hours from Caernarfon to PMD one way!
    To the OP: get on them websites, and have a map handy so you know where they are because many of these places describe a cottage being in "Snowdonia" when its just over the border from Cheshire.

12. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Yes, that's the one. It did just stop at Waunfawn. The trouble was we jumped on the train just as it was going and then realised we had no money. It was a grey day and the kids were hungry and I don't think the cash machine was working in the Spar. I think that's why it seemed so slow on the way back.
    There is some beautiful scenery in that part of Wales though. Anyway, if you think you are a saddo, I've gone on many a Thomas the tank engine steam train when my son was little.Toot,toot.
    I always wanted to go on the one that goes up Snowdonia but once went there and it was full up so never got.

13. *sights