1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Accidents in the kitchen ... student days

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lamaddalena, Sep 14, 2011.

  1. We are discussing student accidents in the kitchen next lesson. This is preparing students for leaving home..going to uni, fending for themselves. Anyone got any experiences they could share ?
    We had a scary water gas boiler that had to be lit. I'm sure it wasn't safe/legal. It used to explode into life.
     
  2. Carbon monoxide poisoning from a previous tenant who'd put loft insulation blocking the boiler flue to keep the heating bills down - not quite what you're after though!

    Friend did burn his kitchen in the house down. He wanted to boil an egg, lacked the basic principles of how to do it (namely, having a clue) so decided to do it in the kettle... set it to boil and stood there holding the boil button down with a fork (cos it got too hot to hold down with his finger). The resulting fire didn't do much damage - apart from to his deposit and the relationship with his housemates.
    We had a dodgy electric cooker that never quite switched off properly so you had to make doubly sure the wall switch was off as well - one day a housemate forgot, put an empty milk bottle on the rings ready to take out to the bin... that one caught fire.

    I do have a husband who as an adult managed to end up in A+E ...loading the washing machine... don't impale your finger inside the door catch kiddies - he sliced the tip of it off (and gave the nursing staff a blooming good laugh at how he'd done it).
     
  3. When I was student one of the other residents microwaved a metal container. That was an interesting diversion for a few minutes!
     
  4. lilachardy

    lilachardy Star commenter

    Turkey burgers in the toaster can be interesting...
     
  5. [​IMG]Whatever happened to parents preparing their children for the real world?!
     
  6. In my first year of uni, two of my (male) flatmates came in from a night on the town, put two pies in the oven and went to bed. On purpose. They thought that they would, "wake up when they knew they were done."
    This was the same day that the fire wardon had gone through all the emergency exit procedures and explained stories about some equally stupid people.
     
  7. This is all useful stuff. Reminds me I had a friend who didn't know you put potatoes in water to boil them. So the potatoes just sat in an empty pan burning. I bet that smelt lovely !
     
  8. Doitforfree

    Doitforfree Senior commenter

    My husband set fire to the college kitchen.

    We had little cookers on the landing (!) with two rings and a grill underneath, that worked from the rings. So if someone was grilling and a pan on top boiled over you got a lovely jet of flame as the fat in the grill pan ignited. Happy days.
     
  9. My halls of residence in my undergrad year (catered thank god... well that thanks is questionable as it wasn't so much cooking as culinary warfare) had the most questionable wiring known to man - you know - ancient building, one plug socket per room...
    I have to confess that on more than one occasion when the idiot down the corridor was blasting music at 2am and wouldn't knock it off - I turned on everything electrical in my room (kettle, contraband toaster etc) to blow the circuits knowing full well it would ensure peace and quiet till the following morning!
    Shared a house with some right space cadets as well - including the guy who couldn't understand that Neighbours was on every day and thought it was just the same show being repeated, and the girl who couldn't even figure out how to grate cheese so bought it ready grated from M+S!
     
  10. lucyrose50

    lucyrose50 New commenter

    A former housemate of mine managed to set fire to the grill pan when making toast, very sensibly chucked a fire blanket over it but found himself mystified when the fire blanket also caught fire. Not sure what he did then but the kitchen was still intact when the rest of us got home so it worked out ok!
     
  11. dominant_tonic

    dominant_tonic Established commenter

    In halls, I was fryingsomething, don't remeber what, in a new frying/grill pa, that had a metak circke on the bottom if you know the ones.
    Oil heated much much quicker than I was used to, and burst into 4 foot flames as I was getting something out of the freezer. Cue fire blanket, 1 week later, cue fire blanket bill! Not impressed.
     
  12. What is not a good idea is making /burning toast in the wee hours and setting the smoke detector/fire alarm off to see the whole of the hall of residence evacuate
     
  13. Joi

    Joi New commenter

    In my shared house I had a very lucky escape, thanks probably to the thick soled boots I was wearing, when I pushed a plug into the live cooker socket. Stupidly I had used the plug for another appliance and couldn't be bothered to screw on the back of it after I had re-connected all the little coloured wires inside. I found myself across the other side of the room sitting on the floor.
     
  14. Roboteer

    Roboteer New commenter

    First year in halls one of my flatmates decided she needed to boil the tea towels to get them clean [​IMG] She then returned to her room and fell asleep. I found them just as they were catching alight after the pan boiled dry.
    Teaching them how to deal with a fat fire is important (in my last school we actually set up a chip pan fire outside and showed them what happened if you put water on it - scary!).
    Knowing how to deal with your housemated mould/bacterial populations in the fridge is probably just as important [​IMG]
     
  15. Yes we are going on to talk about cleaning ! What to use, how to do it!
    Thanks for your help.
     

Share This Page