1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accidentally drove into school gates

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wishy2206, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Loving the sympathy. Ex-SLT or wannabee!

annascience2012 and cissy3 like this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No they don't!

Pomza and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I have known staff cars to be vandalized by pupils/students with no recompense from the school.
    I would query the H and S of parents driving out as staff drive in. An in/out U turn drop off point is needed. The school should really be paying for this. It needs to be raised in a staff meeting. I'm sure other staff will agree with you. ;)
    Try to wriggle out of paying. If you have to pay get it done as cheaply as possible.
    In years to come you will be laughing about the time you destroyed the school gates and the side of your car all in one fell swoop.

TCSC47 likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Or the HT could have paid the extra 15 mins for the H&S --- of course out of the question.

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If the accident was your fault, then its reasonable you have to pay Im afraid. That's what insurance is for. Sure, excess is a real pain and you may lose no claims etc. Or if it can be fixed below or not much above excess price that might be best.
    As someone that has also had a my fault school car park prang, the school car park is one of those places you really have to be concentrating when your mind might be elsewhere!

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You will probably find that you have to report the accident to your insurers anyway, even if you don't claim. It is usually on the policy somewhere. Of course, you could choose not to, but if you then have an accident later and they do some digging or if the school decided to claim from your insurance themselves then you could end up having your insurance cancelled.

TBH Even with a minor accident like that, you will likely find cheaper insurance elsewhere at renewal anyway.

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

If you do have to claim on your insurance for this, you can expect phone calls for the next six years asking about your recent accident and offering to claim you compensation...

tall tales and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Agreed...someone drove into my car in 2015 and I still get these calls.
    More recently, I have been getting a lot of calls about life insurance and funeral plans - do they know something I don't???

agathamorse, nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's nothing to do with your 2015 incident - neither of the drivers in our house has ever had an accident and we've had those calls.

Piranha and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You’ll have to suck it up really. Any insurance will have excess at least, and you’re responsible.

I think there’s a lesson to be learned here as well. Don’t go rushing out of school on the bell. Give it five. It isn’t worth hitting someone when it’s so busy. It sounds like you’re just sitting in a queue anyway.

12. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Just a thought but if you don't report it to your insurance company in a timely manner they could could refuse to process the claim and cancel your insurance as you failed to report an accident.

This could make you liable for the entire cost of the gate repair which being school brought probably are made by the lowest bidder but charged the school a fortune.

Reporting it to your insurance company will ensure damage limitation for you don't report it and you could be out of pocket for a lot more than your excess.

Do you have full comp or third party insurance, how old is your car and what make and model is it because as I found out when my full comp vauxhall astra got hit they wrote it off and sent me the value of my car £14.38 (it was so old the value surprisingly in glawasn't listed in glasses guide) when I got my next car and they phoned me to see if I wanted to insure it I said no.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Anyone else notice that the OP, apparently a member since 2010, made just the one post and hasn't been seen since?

harsh-but-fair, catmother and Piranha like this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Oi- ever the Suspiciousy McSuspicious Face!
    That'll be because they've only dinged a gate once

Having read the opening post again, I cannot help noticing the HTs suggestion of contacting the gate installers. In itself, it's a completely bizarre suggestion, because they clearly have nothing to do with the event in itself; but we do know the gate was new. Therefore the school may have received some sort of maintenance agreement for it, if only for the first year or two. So the HT might have wanted to try to cover the damage that way. It just seems fairly odd the suggest that the installers would right it.
    Whatever, it also suggests sympathy for the OP and therefore a perception of lack of fault.
    I do still think that all HTs are acutely aware of traffic (in the broader sense) exiting at the end of school, and feel the onus is on them to ensure safe transit. Scratching a gate could as equally fall under this concern as it does under OPs own negligence/fault whatever. If it's the only time they've done something like this, logic dictates that the reason is entirely relevant.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  15. ibrahim10

ibrahim10 New commenter

I would sit with the head, apolgise and be honest about my pay and that it will be difficult for me to cover the damage. Ask if you could meet at 50:50. Plus.. if it's just the paint that has come off the gate then a simple bucket of paint amd brush will do the job. Schools do no want to spend money so they will not do it 'the proper way'.. they will probably get one the caretakers or a painter from gumtree to do the job. So don't get taken away just yet..

16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

That seems to be par for the course for OPs on this forum lately.

CWadd, Piranha and nomad like this.
  17. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Paint the ****** with heap paint.