1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accident prevention plan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Nov 1, 2018.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Yesterday I had topped up my compost heap with vegetable peelings and spent cat litter and went on a mini tour of my estate. Going past the pond where I expected to see the odd frog I saw a foreign object floating in the duckweed. Upon closer inspection I was horrified to find the thing that looked like a welcome mat was the spines of a drowned juvenile hedgehog. I fished the poor thing out and realised there was a second floating upside down. I had thought hedgehogs could swim and speculated that these two youngsters had gone for a lark in the water but could not get a grip on the plastic sides. After giving them a decent burial and mourning their loss I decided I needed to prevent a recurrence and devise an action plan. Warning notices are of little use to hedgehogs so I toyed with the idea of a floating jetty / walkway but eventually settled on a mini fence and a bowl borrowed from my cat full of water they could splash around in ( or even drink). Any better ideas for safeguarding hedgehogs ?

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Short of a plastic mesh-type tray fitted just below the surface, I can't think of anything.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Clear the area around the pond of debris-old leaves, sticks, dead plantlife etc. They will cease to be attracted by the pond if they don't have all that stuff to scrabble through first. And if indeed they went in of their own volition.
    You could also put a stick in the pond, but somebody will remove it because...well...a stick.
    And you could also make some sort of alternative pond nearby. Something shallow, They don't go for swimming, they go for drinks.

colpee likes this.
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm pretty certain inflatable rubber lifebelts wouldn't help hedgehogs much.

nomad likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Hedgehogs are good swimmers but they often drown through sheer exhaustion as they are unable to get out of ponds. Make sure at least one side slopes gently to allow any hedgehog to get out, or you can form a ramp out of chicken wire or something similar to create an escape route.

nizebaby and needabreak like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I fell off my bike last night - would an accident plan involve not riding it ?

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Don't be daft.
    In order to pick yourself up quickly from the ground and get going again you need to carry a small step ladder on your bike with you at all times.
    That is a proper accident plan.

mothorchid likes this.