1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Access students user areas from home?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by deanshortuk, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Does any one out their have access students user areas from home? I'm an ICT teacher and as i cant currently access students user areas from home im finding it difficult to get my marking done. All students work is stored on a dedicated server and we are using Frog if that helps. Any one using it/able to offer suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. You either need to put a document management system onto the internet or use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to give encrypted access to the server. You can either buy a VPN gateway, smoothwall do one (smoothwall.com), or home brew one which is what I'm planning using OpenVPN (openvpn.org).

Whatever you do, you want to ensure that you have a login that requires a password so if you're burgled, your PC can't be used to access the school network.

3. Forgot to mention, OpenKM (openkm.org) is the document management package we're looking at.

4. You could set up an SSH server inside your school, on a server or even on your desktop machine, make sure your school's firewall forwards SSH connections to that machine, then use SSH tunneling to either connect directly to your school's desktop machine using RDP or run Windows file sharing (SMB) over the SSH tunnel. I have RDP over SSH working oka, I've not tried SMB over SSH myself.

5. Why bother when a VPN gives you everything securely tunnelled.

We work with a local age concern and have 3 branches connected using OpenVPN in bridged mode so the whole thing appears to be one network on a single subnet. I can connect from home and the result is that it's like being in their office, albeit with a slower network connection.

If you want to try setting it up message me.

6. Remote Desktop, NetStorage, HAP+, etc etc etc... the solutions are all there to solve this one.