1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Access Arrangements

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by b15b2y, Nov 9, 2015.

  1. b15b2y

    b15b2y New commenter

    If anyone could offer any help here I'd really appreciate it.
    I am researching courses to allow accreditation for the JCQ requirements for this year. I'm trying to find a course that would allow support staff to over see the testing-but am I hunting for something that doesn't exist? Is the reality that only qualified teachers can complete the training?
    I have a few LSAs who would be excellent as leading the testing, (one course has said they would may consider those without QTS with a letter from the Head) but the distance learning courses suggest 100 hours of learning-which seems a lot to ask of non teaching staff. Where would all the time come from for them to complete this?
    I am aware that time is ticking and we need to get booked onto a course asap-a residential where it is all taken care of in a few days sounds best.
    Does anyone know of any providers/have any experience/also going round in circles? Communicated and Real Training have been suggested so far. We are based in the north of England-though obviously will travel wherever necessary.
  2. camptownraces

    camptownraces New commenter

    See what JCQ actually says:
    "Specialist assessors will note from this year’s JCQ publication Access Arrangements and Reasonable Adjustments there is now a requirement for a specialist assessor to have a post-graduate qualification in individual specialist assessment at or equivalent to Level 7. (See paragraph 7.3.4, page 82)."

    This is a diploma level post-graduate qualification. It's bound to take at least 100 hours work. (Some of which could be done at home).

    Residential does not mean that it can all be taken care of in a few days (this is Real Training, presumably?) as there is quite a lot of course work which has to be submitted after the residential course.

    I think Dyslexia Action also runs a CCET course, but am not sure in what form. Check with Communicate-ed about PAPAA.

    If you go for the CCET, you'd also need to include the companion course AAC, and together they would make a CPT3A to count as equivalent of a level 7.

    I think you are unlikely to find a satisfactory solution to this - it's not just about supervising testing sessions. However, some tests have parallel versions, so your LSAs could oversee initial testing, and a qualified assessor could run the parallel version later it that was needed.
  3. minnie me

    minnie me Star commenter

    When I was in schools I arranged for a very willing member of staff ( English ) to undertake the specialist qualification in her own time ( twilight sessions and quite demanding content / assignments ) who was happy to pursue in the spirit of CPD so that we had an in house specialist to take responsibilty for the AA. It was, from memory, quite expensive but was to pay dividends in the long term for lots of reasons. I recall approaching a TA (the only one on the team then ) who was a graduate ( English / Drama ) but he did not want to commit to the time / additional study / responsibility. It is an 'important' role and I think needs to be acknowledged as such . Unlikely also to be rewarded with an additional pay rise ! Perhaps conscript someone keen and able from the staff ? I have worked with lots of folk who are at Level 7 and to be honest from my experience it does not necessarily equate with academic rigour ! but I do understand why a post grad re AA is promoted as being ' essential ' .Agree it is not just about supervising testing. Remember also that if / when the named person leaves he / she takes their expertise with them.
  4. foxtail3

    foxtail3 Star commenter

    I did a post graduate course (part of a Master's) in SpLD. It was run by the LA at the time and was a year's course, with some weekend sessions at university. There were weekly taught sessions, regular assignments, long term assignments and a final dissertation.

    I was able to do the testing for access arrangements, without having the EP use the time allocated to the school to do it.
  5. minnie me

    minnie me Star commenter

    We didn't use the EP ever to conduct AA - we needed him / her to to work through a caseload of potential students for( then) Statementing but we did have to ' buy in ' specialist teachers. That 's why the inhouse appointment made sense. She was deployed in many ways relevant to her additional knowledge - not just conducting AA.

Share This Page