1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Accepting the job

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aw7803z, Apr 29, 2020.

  1. aw7803z

    aw7803z New commenter

    How long can you consider an offer before accepting the job. I am going for interviews and have had some offers however I would still like to attend my other arranged interviews without sounding like I am not interested in the other jobs.

    How long roughly can you ask for time to consider the job offer?
  2. CarrieV

    CarrieV Lead commenter

    5 minutes?
  3. Abitofeverything

    Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

    I would have thought any more than 2 days would seem rude. They need to let the other candidates know.
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Don't know if things have changed , but certainly it used to be the penultimate question, "If offered the job are you still interested?" I presume if you said you'd need to discuss it with partner etc or other reason to defer, I expect it may influence whether you get offered the post or not. Depending on other interviewees replies of course- if they definitely said yes.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    I don't quite understand this. What did you tell the schools when they phoned to offer you the post?
    Especially as you say you have multiple offers on the table and yet are still going to interviews. Surely to goodness you must have discounted some of them and let the head know?
    The other candidates won't want to be hanging on for weeks while you decide.

    And one of you other recent posts is this:
    Yet now, just a few days later you have multiple offers?
    carntthink and CarrieV like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Oops I didn't pick up on that. I read attending interviews and was assuming these hadn't actually started, and assumed
    referred to offers to interview and OP wondering how to mange those. :oops:
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Implied to me that they had been offered a job and somehow hadn't actually said yes or no yet.
    Imagine if, the schools were thinking they have offered the post to the OP, but will keep interviewing in case someone better comes along. Then they will let the OP know they are no longer required. We'd all be up in arms about it.
    How long would you be happy to wait for an offer after interview? About the same amount of time.

    Seriously, it's your NQT post. Accept one of them and get on with life.
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. becky70

    becky70 Occasional commenter

    In teaching you are expected to make an on the spot decision. If you have been offered a post that you think is suitable then I would accept it. You'll then need to withdraw from your other interviews.
  9. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    Things can move very quickly this term, and if the first choice candidate takes a few days to turn down a post, the second and third choice may have already accepted posts elsewhere. I know of one case where the entire shortlist pulled out between short-listing and interview, and they had to re-shortlist. So if you ask for time to consider, the answer may well be no, because they'd rather have their second choice than risk having to start all over again. If there's something major you didn't know before interview then they might be willing to let you have until the evening, or possibly first thing the next day.
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.

Share This Page