1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepting job offers

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by DrJay, Feb 28, 2016.

1. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I'm currently in a full-time (NQT) position that I wish to quit by the end of this academic year (I knew I was in the wrong place before the end of my week 1 but keeping my head low and enduring all sorts of things from both pupils and colleagues - awful!). This time around, I carefully investigated and chose schools with vacancies in my subject area. Some deadlines have passed. Others are in the next week(s) or so. I ranked the chosen schools to which I have applied or will be applying. One of these schools (4 out of 10) shortlisted me and I’m attending the interview shortly. If offered the job (which I suppose they would want me to confirm an acceptance or rejection, promptly), my greatest dilemma would be to decline interview at school 1-3 out of 10, assuming I am shortlisted for interviews in these schools.

My question is this: is it right and proper to attend interviews after you’ve already secured and accepted a position at another school?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

As Carrie says - No.

Do read Theo's advice here in the Professional Advice Hub.

Have you read all of Theo's advice about job hunting in the Job Seekers forum?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I can't get past a simple "No" ! I leave the more complicated explanations to others!!

sabrinakat and senlady like this.
  6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I need to add that if you do accept and then request further time off from your current headteacher in order to accept interviews you are behaving unprofessionally and risk your headteacher taking disciplinary action - because having secured and accepted an offer, you are not free to attend other interviews, nor should you take time out from your current post in order to do so.

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You are also confusing dreams with reality. You have been shortlisted and interviewed for a job, which is your ultimate desire. So you follow that line, that reality now.

The other thoughts are irrelevant, not least as you may never hear from them anyhow.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ps. Also, be careful what you say in interviews about your current school - I hated mine but my colleagues were lovely, but I didn't mention the negatives and do really like my new school (thankfully!)

Middlemarch likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Good advice for anyone going to interviews.

Lara mfl 05 and sabrinakat like this.
  10. DrJay

Many thanks everyone. I was offered the job. I wouldn't swap the school and the offer with any, currently, not even with the schools I ranked 1-3. So, I responded: "Yes, yes, yes!" Schools 1-2 contacted me to arrange interview and I delayed responding till this evening to say I'm no longer available.

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!

Have you read the articles in the Professional Advice Hub about how to accept a job, what to do next, etc?

Tag me @TheoGriff if you can't find it.

Best wishes

12. DrJay

Found the Professional Advice Hub...interesting and helpful stuff.

13. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately you are tied to when the interviews are scheduled, rather than on your preference of schools. Nothing else you can do on this one unless you behave totally unprofessionally, which I wouldn't recommend.

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

See post #10 @englishteach101 DrJay has accepted the job and withdrawn from the others - no dilemma anymore! :)

DrJay, sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.