1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepting difference

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by flo12, Jun 19, 2019.

1. flo12

flo12 New commenter

Hi

I wonder if anyone has any advice on supporting students to accept their eligibility to an access arrangement?

This is my 3rd year as SENCo and I have noticed in the past 2 years that some of my KS4 students do not want to accept the arrangement to which they are eligible. Oddly, this was not the case in my 1st year. Talking to the students to whom this applies, it seems to be linked to what their peers might think of them. Has anyone else had this? If so, how did you deal with it?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I recall students entitled to extra time who were loathe to take it in exams. I think this was not just about wanting to be like everybody else it was also about maintaining levels of concentration and a desire to exit the exam room as soon as they could. The provision of additional time does / did not automatically ‘ guarantee ‘ an enhanced performance .... We used to try to coach our students as to how to use it to their best advantage . I doubt there is anything to be done .. and it’s not as if you can make them ‘make’ the time work for them....,

3. flo12

flo12 New commenter

I know what you mean. I guess those earlier in their courses may simply not know enough yet about the given topic areas/exam technique to warrant the need for extra time. Those with reading pens or a reader should be using them though. I have a handful who don’t want to be in a smaller room even - one clearly said it was because of the stigma attached (obviously said in a more teen-like way)

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well yes I have experienced this too . I have used the term ‘lifeline ‘with regard to some strategies and this may not fall into that category BUT if your students choose to reject ( for wherever reason ) what is on offer you have to take the view that you as a professional are taking exactly the right steps to provide ‘a level playing field ‘ and then they must take responsibility / consequences of dismissing .... don’t beat yourself up ...

When I was younger I suspect I was not particularly rationale / sensible about my choices either - ha !