1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepting an offer then changing your mind?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Sparkley84, Apr 1, 2009.

1. What happens if you accept a PGCE offer but then decide you don't want to take it up? Are you obliged to take the place? I've got a place for a secondary PGCE but I've also been provisionally offered a GTP place somewhere else. I'd prefer to do the GTP place, but won't hear back for 4 weeks. The school have said that my application is very strong and I should be accepted by the training provider, but I'm wondering if I should accept the PGCE place just in case? But if I then get offered the GTP place for definite can I then turn down the PGCE place? I know its a bit selfish to do this and not really fair on the uni, but I'm just scared of turning down the PGCE place and then not getting a place for the GTP.

2. Hi Sparkley
    I was in almost the same position as you - I applied for both courses, knowing that I would definitely prefer the GTP over the PGCE. As it turned out I had my PGCE interview a long time before my GTP interview, so I accepted my PGCE place as a back-up plan. I then got offered a place on the GTP, so I just called up the uni and pulled out of the course and informed the GTTR that I was withdrawing my acceptance of a place.
    At the end of the day, keep yourself safe - don't turn anything down until you know you've got a firm back-up. Selfish towards the uni, yes, but you're keeping yourself safe!
    Hope this helps!

3. That really helps! Thank you so much for replying!

4. What if you have been offered a place on a PGCE with the same institution you are applying for the GTP with? I need to reply to my pgce offer before I have even had an interview for the GTP. Will accepting the PGCE affect my chances of success with the GTP app at the same institution?

Thanks for your thoughts..

5. I haven't had a reply from the PGCE or the GTP yet but I am hoping to be in the same position as the OP. Different providers though so I'm not sure about your situation Geo0705. However I would accept the PCGE as I think you get a time limit to respond and then it gets rejected automatically. I agree with the posts above, you have to look after no.1 and I think the uni will appreciate your committment. If you get questioned on it at the GTP interview, just state that you really want to be a teacher so you are exploring all entry routes available, then say why the GTP is your preference. I would imagine they get people doing it all the time anyway [​IMG]