1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepting a teaching position in a school.

Discussion in 'English' started by LittleWaffles, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hi, I have recently qualified as a teacher and I am currently looking for an NQT position in secondary schools. I have been applying to as many schools as I can within a 20 mile radius of my home.

If I accept a position at a school but then I am offered another post at a school which is closer to home , would there be anything to stop me from accepting the second school and declining the other one?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It is considered unprofessional to renege on an offer and it's often pointed out that you wouldn't want a school to change its mind. If you have two interviews close together, you could ask for time to decide, but this could go against you if there is a good field. Last year, this happened in our Science department and they insisted on a same day decision because it was so close between the top two. Candidate one withdrew so she could go for second interview and the job went to the close second.

3. sianna

sianna New commenter

Yes. In the interview they will probably ask you - 'If you were offered the post, would you accept it?' If you say yes, they will assume you mean it.
    It costs schools a LOT of time and money to re-advertise, re-shortlist and re-interview for a post if the person offered it rejects it later on. Agreeing to take a post without meaning it is dishonest and dishonourable and will reflect very badly on you and cause the school a lot of extra work.
    If you don't want it, let someone else who does want it have the job.

4. Plus, schools talk and if it's found out you've withdrawn from a school where you've accepted a job in favour of another, that second school can withdraw THEIR offer on the grounds that you provided false information that you were free to accept a job when you weren't.

5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

It is problematic, but all the advice here is sound. In my PGCE year I pulled out of three interviews under the guise that a more preferable post lay round the corner. Commuting is a killer, but jobs are thin on the ground. Saying that, you are an excellent prospect as an affordable NQT. Therefore, I would only not accept a job if you have more than one interview already lined up.