1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepting a position - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Teachanddance1, May 6, 2019.

1. Teachanddance1

Teachanddance1 New commenter

Hi everyone. I qualified as a teacher a few years ago and have been working as a HLTA and TA ever since, as well as doing supply work. For the past couple of months I have been working as a TA in a lovely school and have been offered a fixed-term contract. The problem is the salary is quite a bit lower than I'd like (it's a level 1 position) and it doesn't involve any teaching or PPA cover. I've had a great time there but I worry that the longer I leave it, the harder it'll be to secure a teaching post. There are already so many people going for each position. I have spent the last three days filling in job applications for teaching and HLTA positions I would love, but I worry that if I don't accept the offered role, I might still be on supply from Sept. I know jobs are few and far between and there's the chance of six weeks without pay if I don't secure a job in time. Do I keep applying or would you accept the job if you were in my position?

2. traceyo742

traceyo742 New commenter

I can’t help wondering why you have worked as a TA after working so hard to qualify as a teacher? If this is a lifestyle choice and you are happy there - stay. If you actually want to teach, time to move on. Ultimately it depends on your personal and financial commitments of course!

agathamorse likes this.