1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Accepting a job offer

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by frenchqueen, Apr 8, 2012.

  1. If you accept a job offer and then something better comes along a week later, what are the consequences of you accepting the latter offer?
     
  2. If you accept a job offer and then something better comes along a week later, what are the consequences of you accepting the latter offer?
     
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Well, let's put it this way. Suppose that you accepted a job, and then 2 weeks later the school contacted you to say that actually they had just interviewed someone else that they liked better, so were withdrawing their offer to you, sorry.
    How would you feel?
    You would feel, correctly, that they had broken their contractual agreement with you. And very peeved about it, probably in fact getting onto your union and talking about suing them!
    When you accept one job, you have to withdraw from any others that you might have in the pipeline, because you are now enaged to that school. A verbal contract is a contract still.
    In fact if you did accept A, then go to interview at B, accept them, and get back to A turning them down after accepting, for no reason other than you had a better offer, B would be justified in withdrawing their offer to you because you falsely represented yourself as being free to enter into a contract with them when you had already entered into a contract with A.
    So you could end up with no job . . .
    Comes along? You shouldn't still be looking, and most certainly shouldn't go to an interview when you have already accepted one job.
    Sorry! Not the answer that you wanted to hear!
    Best wishes
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
     
  4. So, what's the answer? One is for HoD and the latter for Assistant head...
     
  5. Have you signed the contract? If not, then it strikes me as bad faith and unprofessional. Your name will probbaly be mentioned in circles in the local authority or compnay and you could write off future jobs.
    It would be not great if the first jilted employer contacts the second employer and describes what has happened. The second employer decides that they do not wish to employ such an untrustworthy person.I'm not sure of the legal consequecnes flowing from this.
    If you have signed the contract then it is a breach of contract.
    So, I would suggest your take the job that was offered to you in good faith.I do not think people can reasonably criticise senior management for acting in bad faith if they do the same thing.
    .
     
  6. Other people do that and do far worse and get away with it!!!! Ok... so what if I explain at interview?
     
  7. Ruthie66

    Ruthie66 New commenter

    I think that Theo's answer is very clear.
    If you have accepted a job offer - even if only verbally- you are bound by that acceptance. You run the risk of losing out on the second job if you renege on your acceptance of the first. If you want to risk turning down the HoD job for a try at the AHT job then that is your decision but you shouldn't accept the HOD job and then turn up for the AHT interview.
     
  8. Diddysan

    Diddysan New commenter

    Once you accept a job offer you should no longer be in the job market. End of story!
     

  9. Ok ok!!! i hear you all loud and clear.... [​IMG]it's all such a flaming dilemma.. the HoD job is in a school which has just gone into measures and it's because of literacy...
    I have all the credentials to do the job.
    I would rather do the AHT job, but they want pastoral experience which I don't have... but I do have everything I else they want.
    If I turn down the job and don't get acceptedd for the AHT job, I will be stuck at my current school and most definitely do NOT want that. [​IMG]
    The interview date has already been rearranged for the HoD job because the only other applicant withdrew. Since then, they have not readvertised nationally but only on the county and the school websites... it's all a little bizarre... [​IMG]
     
  10. frymeariver

    frymeariver New commenter

    Your last post changes things quite significantly.
    If I have read it correctly then you have not yet been interviewed for the HOD job. In that case you go to the interview and if you are successful then there is nothing to prevent you explaining the situation to them and explaining that you feel you should go for that interview before you accept the HOD role s it is a great opportunity professionally. This is entirely up to you and is a situation many people have found themselves in before.
    The school with the HOD post is going to encourage you to accept the post and bin the AHT interview but if they want you enough, and are decent people to work for, then they will give you the green light.
    Of course this course of action relies on you having already been invited for interview for the AHT post as without a firm date you have no reason to delay accepting the HOD post. If you try then they will decide you are not a firm candidate and offer it to another candidate (if there is one worthy of the post). Hope this makes sense. Good luck!
     
  11. chriszwinter1

    chriszwinter1 New commenter

    That does not make it right.
     
  12. peterdevon

    peterdevon New commenter

    I can't see how it changes anything. You have accepted a job. You have a contract. That means you can't apply for any other job. There is no dilemma.
     
  13. I haven't accepted anything and neither have I been given a job interview for either. The HoD interview comes up before the AHT post - I would rather have the AHT post, but I have to get out of my current school. My gut feeling is to go for the HoD interview ( which I should get) and explain the situation, and see what happens. I want the AHT post more and that is the one I am gunning for. If neither happens I will have to stay in my current school and get out at the earliest available opportunity.

     
  14. With the important clarification, I believe the right advice has already been given by

    frymeariver 08/04/2012 at 22:48

    Good luck
     
  15. yes, I thought so too. Thank you. I think I just have to be up front and honest. And brave.
     
  16. I was honest, upfront and brave at the first job interview I went to where I was offered the job...After I had been brave and honest enough to be upfront the Head went mental shouting abuse at me and calling me a f***ing time waster etc etc. Charming. Lucky escape...
     
  17. Accepting a job is a verbal contract. You will be in breach of the contract if you back out.
     
  18. DaisysLot

    DaisysLot Senior commenter

    Questions like these always make me thinking of a TV game show scenario - the ones where the person turns down and gambles their current 'prize' to the lure of something better.... then lose the lot for their greed....
     

Share This Page