1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepted job but changed my mind

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by goldenglow, Jul 23, 2019.

1. goldenglow

goldenglow New commenter

So my school has now closed for good so I needed a job for September. I secured a job in April for a September start and signed a letter of acceptance. Since then I’ve been teaching there a couple of days for transition and have also been to staff meetings. I’ve now realised that this is not a school I want to work in. I’ve been asked to take on a head of department role outside my comfort zone for no extra pay and have just found out that the he’s ha now left and they do not have a new one come September so I’m concerned about the leadership and support I’ll get. I’ve recently had a baby too so home life is very full on. Where would I stand on leaving this new job? I know it’s unethical but I was the only applicant so they wouldn’t have been able to offer it to someone else but I’ve signed an acceptance letter but not a contract.

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi goldenglow,

You will need to check whether this acceptance letter counts as your contract. It should not however it is best to check because I am aware of some teachers that sign an acceptance letter yet never receive a formal contract.

You will also need to check with HR (if you do not receive your contract during the summer break) about notice periods.

Lastly, I would get advice from your union.

All the best,

Bukky

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

:eek:

jenny_talwarts likes this.
  4. jenny_talwarts

jenny_talwarts New commenter

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You have been offered the job, verbally accepted it including signing an acceptance letter and even started working in the job. The formal written contract doesn’t have to be given until after you’ve started work but an employment contract now exists between you.

In my opinion, and based on a working knowledge of these situations, you need to now abide by the normal resignation dates if you wish to resign. In most cases, that means resign by October 31st to leave at Christmas. So my advice would be to start the job properly in September and see how it goes for the first half term before making a decision.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Exactly.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As you've actually started the job already whether you have a 'paper/ email contract' or not, I've been told in the past, that starting work implies you accept all terms and conditions and the 'paper contract whether letter / email etc is irrelevant.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.
  8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

As your thread title says, you have ‘changed your mind’. But you have already verbally accepted the post. Once you have done this, I’m afraid you can’t just change your mind. You need to do what @Sundaytrekker suggests. Also, you say you have been asked to take on a HOD role for no extra pay. Presumably you had the opportunity to decline to do this or negotiate remuneration.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

It’s your job. You’ve accepted it. You’ve started doing it.
    Just as they couldn’t have turned around after the couple of transition days and staff meetings and said ‘oh sorry, you are not what we thought and we don’t want you anymore’; you can’t either. Not without breaching your contract.
    So it’s your job in September. You’ve got til the end of October to see if you like it, if not, hand in your notice and leave at Christmas.
    And while I am sympathetic to you having a new baby, that would be the case whatever job you had so is irrelevant to this.

Sundaytrekker and agathamorse like this.
  10. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

If you didn't apply for a HOD role but were then forced to do it would that change things (especially if unpaid)? I don't know the answer but one for the union potentially.

blue451 likes this.
  11. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Ultimately you don’t have to turn up in September. No one is going to come and get you from your house and drag you there. But it is breach of contract because you have accepted the job.
    I’m not sure what you think the union can do @NIHistoryTeacher? The OP accepted a job, signed a verbal acceptance, was asked (their words) to take on a HOD role which they are now deciding they are uncomfortable with. OP did you say ‘no’ when it was offered and are they somehow making you? Are you the only member of staff in the department and therefore HOD by default, or are there staff to line manage?
    This is Big Girl Pants time I’m afraid. Put them on, go in September, do your best, leave at Christmas if you want giving proper notice. And before anyone says ‘it won’t look good leaving at Christmas?’ It’ll look a damn sight better than not rocking up in September.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If you walk out of this job then you can kiss goodbye to working in that area again. HTs talk and, in this case, I wouldn't blame them.

13. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Just Start in September then put your resignation in using the correct channrls if you don't like it. Be prepared to find securing another role extremely difficult though. As a previous poster stated, word of mouth about you will spread quickly.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

Not necessarily. If the role has changed since you accepted it, I think that's a valid reason for looking for something else.

Explain that for personal/professional/whatever reasons you want to focus on the role of classroom teacher without the HoD responsibilities. Some HTs will still consider you and you have nothing to lose by applying.

15. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

As others have said, if you do your term and then go, it’s a different kettle of fish to ‘just didn’t show’.

People can leave a school after a term for all sorts of reasons and as long as you can talk to them (yours might be ‘family’ rather than ‘yegads it was NOT what I was expecting’) it’ll be fine.