1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepted an offer without discussing salary

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kv16220, Jun 24, 2019.

1. kv16220

kv16220 New commenter

Hi all,

I’m currently very anxious as I received the formal offer letter after a successful interview at a new school. I’m an NQT so I’m inexperienced in negotiating salaries (or indeed how anything works). I was surprised the offer is would keep me on M1, but, more than that, it did not mention TLR which was discussed at interview and on the advertisement.

I’ve not gotten a response from HR yet but I am conscious we did not discuss salary before I accepted the offer on the phone.

My questions are:
    It it the standard to not indicate a role has TLR on an offer letter?

Does the school not have to meet the salary advised on their own advertisement?

What should I do now?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It sounds like it has already dawned on you that you should never accept a job without knowing the salary. The exact salary in £££, not an offer that just refers to a scale point (there are no national scales, do you even know what M1 at this school means in £££?).

If they were going to offer you a TLR it should be in the letter. No a school does not have to honour what was on the job ad. Legally that's just an indication of what they might offer, not a binding commitment.

Fortunately you haven't accepted the offer in writing which gives you some scope, in practice, to say 'obviously I wasn't formally accepting it until I knew the salary and now you have confirmed that it is much less than I understood you would be offering so I won't be taking up your offer".

Of course if you have already resigned from your current job that might not be an attractive line of argument for you if it would leave you jobless. So the alternative line with HR is 'you offered me M2 + TLR and I have accepted that. The letter has something completely different in it, please reissue the letter'. If they won't agree consult your union asap.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the job was advertised with TLR and this was also the assumption being made in the interview, then it seems reasonable to have assumed that the job offer over the phone was the job with TLR, even if they didn't mention it. If the advert was "possibility of TLR" and discussion at interview was whether or not you might have a TLR, it might be rather different, but I would have thought in that case you'd have asked during the call. If M1/M2 was not discussed, then it will be harder to argue about that one.

First line is probably to get in touch with them, and say "I've just received the formal offer letter, but there seems to be a mistake, as the job discussed at interview carried a TLR." It might turn out to be just a clerical error. But talk to your union, and work out how to respond if not. If the written offer doesn't match the (implied) verbal offer, you're probably within your rights to say "no thanks", but that then leaves you with no job.

4. kv16220

kv16220 New commenter

They’ve now clarified that it did not include TLR because I never specified explicitly, however, I was under the impression the role had TLR. I can’t view the ad now but supposedly it said “possibility”. I did specify my interest in working closely with KS3 and was questioned about this.

The head was adamant questions I asked were strictly about main teaching but they asked me to do the following:
    - plan a KS3 SOW
    - group discussion with questions about managing a colleague, the value of book scrutiny and learning walks and ways of approaching KS3 learning.
    It seems to me I was being interviewed for the position but they offered it to someone internally perhaps. I am in no doubt I was being interviewed for a higher position though.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

TLRs are sometimes mentioned as a possibility for a more experienced recruit. I have seen this a number of times before - when a TLR is definitely part of the role, it is usually mentioned in the advert -"KS3 coordinator" or whatever. It was also possible that they were assessing you, along with everybody else who was interviewed for the TLR role at your interview, but decided against offering it. But what actually matters is what you were offered. If it was going to be a TLR post, then they would have named the job.

Where to go from here? I really doubt if you have any kind of case against the new school. You can argue for a move up the Main Scale, and perhaps this is the sort of school which only confirms moves up after the new year starts, when PM reviews are done. I think it worth checking on this. Perhaps they will want evidence from your current school that they would have moved you up, and knowing this before the end of term would allow you to try to get this.

After that, if a TLR is important to you, then start looking around. It would be unusual, although not unknown, for one to be given to somebody in their second year of teaching. I applied for one at the end of my NQT year, and was not massively disappointed not to get it. But with experience, you have every chance. Good luck.

JohnJCazorla and border_walker like this.
  6. Diagro

Diagro New commenter

Its normal and expected to start your NQT year on M1 (the standard scale) with no TLR.
    99% of the adverts I have seen offer TLR for experienced candidates.

I highly doubt you would have time to undertake the extra things required to gain a TRL in your NQT year to be fair.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

@Diagro, I took this, especially the words "keep me" as meaning that the OP is currently an NQT, coming to the end of their NQT year, so would expect to move up the scale in September. Is that correct, OP?