1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accepted a fixed term contract post - didn't realise would forfeit pay over summer

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by isabelleddavies, May 4, 2012.

1. Is there anything I can do? At interview I was concerned about being able to complete my NQT year and so asked (and was assured) that I would be kept on until that was complete. But that still means my contract will end in July leaving me payless over summer.

Is there anything I can do?

2. Is there anything I can do? At interview I was concerned about being able to complete my NQT year and so asked (and was assured) that I would be kept on until that was complete. But that still means my contract will end in July leaving me payless over summer.

Is there anything I can do?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I doubt it.
    This is common practice for fixed term contracts, including maternirty cover. A money saving exercise.

4. I know there is nothing that you can do, except take it on the chin, be grateful you achieved your NQT year completion status and move on... harsh maybe but how it is. If you imagine it financially, from a school's perspective, if they have a fixed contract, saving 1/12 of a number of teachers salaries - all of that extra goes back in the pot, can employ more staff, spend on reosurces, beating the defecits etc. Though it does mean a lot of turbulence staff-wise IMO...
    You can, if unemployed, claim all associated benefits etc, if meeting requirements and searching for a job etc. See unemplyed teacher forum for more info.
    Good luck.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If it's a maternity cover, then they are entitled to end it on the return of the postholder: you perhaps need to be glad they've promised to keep you to July, as that will mean having to pay both of you once the postholder returns.

6. It might be a good idea to make sure that, although you might have actually served any length of time requirements, for the NQT year.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They won't end up paying for two teachers in July as the returning teacher is likely to 'return to work' on the first day of the school holidays, triggering their return to full pay. The cover teacher will be employed until their last day in school and so will get a reduced payment at the end of July and nothing in August as they cease being an employee around the 3rd week of July.
    There is nothing that can be done about the pay situation so consolation will be in having served enough time to complete Induction.
    Wait for the receipt of July pay and then lodge a claim for JSA over the rest of the summet holidays and into September (+ onwards) if another job doesn't materialise.

8. You could always look for a summer job in a shop or the leisure industry for the weeks you have no work, you will be up against uni students so start looking now. I did just that a while back when on temp contract and not paid over the summer.