1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable words/phrases

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, May 10, 2019.

1. hamcguin

hamcguin New commenter

Easy to say if you are white. Why should a job application ask you what colour you are? And people get upset about of it because, er, let me think, racism....

2. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

And your comment supports exactly the remark I made earlier about needing to reassess what we mean by the word racism. The word is used far too easily and your post is an excellent example of that.
    Asking people to state their ethnic origins on a job applicaton is not racism in my opinion. Firstly it applies to everyone regardless of colour/ethnicity. Second it does not cause harm to anyone and really really shouldn't offend.In fact they need this information so that they can be fair and try to employ a fair mix of colours and ethnic origins.

So many people are just so eager to shout racism for every little thing and in doing so make it more of an issue than it ever was.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

‘ Am not gonna lie ‘ .....

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

That fairness is discrimination. There is no reason to show anyone's ethnic origins, gender or name to people shortlisting for interview.

les25paul likes this.
  5. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

I thought the modern term was "otherly abled".

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

Well then you can't win can you. If you shortlist 20 applicants and they all happen to be of one colour /sex/race then you will get people banging on about unfair recruitment practices.

It is not discrimination if the purpose is to ensure that a mix of candidates is chosen. It only becomes discrimination if you use to actively recruit candidates of a certain colour/sex/race and avoid those of other colour/sex/race.

Incidentally, discrimination is another of those words that is used too much to fit the purpose of the user.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I seem to recall a study that found when you completely anonymised an application... removed all racial, gender, names and age markers from them... the study found that white men were disproportionately favoured.

Admittedly from memory so could be wrong.

8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Just to be accurate, no, you could erase this from your hard drive. It wouldn't be a trivial undertaking though.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm afraid my IT knowledge extends no further than plugging it in.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I am correct, completely. I m an expert in this field. You are looking at popularist sources where the language has been moderated for ease of understanding, and is not being used scientifically

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Dunno wot that means either.
    Far as I know, I clicked on a website that is a Nazi-thing.
    If getting rid of it was that easy, why do Police confiscate your computer for crime evidence? I'm sure the dullest crim would have clicked delete on any embarrassing content.

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes, this is completely true, this is what happens, because white males are going to have been favoured for many years previous to the actual job applications, therefore will be applying with stronger CVs, more confidence and more opportunities to apply!

This is a generalisation, of course, many white males have none of these things, and are DISADVANTAGED by the assumption that they do.

However, it is true that if you remove all reference to sex and ethnnic origin from job applications, you will end up with a disproportionate number of white males called for interview, and appointed.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The mid 20th century racial classification by American anthropologist Carleton S. ****, divided humanity into five races:
    • Caucasoid (White) race.
    • Negroid (Black) race.
    • Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) race.
    • Mongoloid (Oriental/ Amerindian) race.
    • Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan) race.
    Not saying this (above) is it but would you care to contribute towards your own assertion?

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

For TES censors.
    Ref #153., the mans surname is C-0-0-NS the censor seems to be unable to distinguish that!!

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

"****'s theories on race are widely rejected by modern anthropologists for unsubstantiated claims of European superiority to all other races."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_S._Coon

That's the sort of thing I mentioned earlier:

Not exactly the sort of reference that is accepted as having any kind of veracity other than by those of a particular err,,, viewpoint.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Not sure if that's true. Why, under those conditions, would white women be disadvantaged? (Women under 30 earn more than men on pay gap average)

17. EmanuelShadrack

Old term: Surname of twentieth century American physical anthropologists
    New term: 4 consecutive *'s

18. EmanuelShadrack

Good criminals indeed would take measures to prevent their computer contents from incriminating them (though they don't always get away with it):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygr...d-they-cant-make-you-decrypt-it/#2653e70f2ed3

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ls-philadelphia-police-child-abuse-encryption

Not all criminals are as cunning though:

http://awesci.com/the-astonishingly-funny-story-of-mr-mcarthur-wheeler/

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

"
    Summary of The Races of Europe[10]
    ****'s 1939 book concluded the following:

1. The Caucasian race is of dual origin consisting of Upper Paleolithic (mixture of Homo sapiens and Neanderthals) types and Mediterranean (purely sapiens) types.
    2. The Upper Paleolithic peoples are the truly indigenous peoples of Europe.
    3. Mediterraneans invaded Europe in large numbers during the Neolithic period and settled there.
    4. The racial situation in Europe today may be explained as a mixture of Upper Paleolithic survivors and Mediterraneans.
    5. When reduced Upper Paleolithic survivors and Mediterraneans mix, then occurs the process of dinarization, which produces a hybrid with non-intermediate features.
    6. The Caucasian race encompasses the regions of Europe, Central Asia, South Asia, the Near East, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa.
    7. The Nordic race is part of the Mediterranean racial stock, being a mixture of Corded and Danubian Mediterraneans.
    "

What viewpoint might this be?

20. hamcguin

hamcguin New commenter

One from nearly 100 years ago