1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable words/phrases

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, May 10, 2019.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Colour is of no importance and IMO should not be used. This 'we are all together' movement is a falsehood because we are not nor will we ever be. People are by nature tribal, we cling to those within the tribe, whatever tribe that may be.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

but that is not the meaning of the word "race". Scientifically speaking, we are not different races, we are different ethnic origins within the same race. Saying we are different races exaggerates the differences between us hugely. Two women of different ethnic origins are genetically far closer to each other than a man and a woman of the same ethnic origin. If we were different races, that would not be the case.

neanderthals are/were a different race. There is only one human race alive now, albeit with tiny amounts of hybrid DNA from other races

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

No. we are all one species, homo sapiens, Neanderthals were another species and its likely there was interbreeding between them and early homo sapiens.. Within our species we have different races, which are distinct genetic groups (eg as shown by skin colour, hair type etc). Ethnic groups are cultural groups and can be seen in styles of clothing, music, dance etc.

Race is a biological distinction , ethnicity is a cultural one. But the important point is we are all the same species.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is that a good example?

Just thinking of blonde, brown, black and red heads all in the European racial grouping. While other racial groups have a more uniform hair type.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no, that is scientifically completely wrong. Neanderthals were the same species as us, but a different race, as were denisovians, javans,..

These days there is only one race in the human species. We are all the same race.

hamcguin and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we are Homo sapien sapien

Nenderthals are Homo sapien neanderthalis

We are both Homo sapien - same genus, same species, different subgroup (race) of that species

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This is EXACTLY why I disagree with using the term "race" - because it exaggerates the differences between us, people do genuinely think we are different races, and we are not

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    hamcguin likes this.
  8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

No it was a rubbish one. :oops:

lanokia likes this.
  9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Depends on your source of information. My quick research has them as different species, Neanderthal being Homo neanderthalensis. But they were very closely related perhaps even subspecies and the picture changes with modern developments in molecular biology. Scientists are still finding different subspecies or species within what was thought to be established current species today so its always going to be difficult to be sure with long extinct species.

Races do occur within a single species and not just humans, the Brent Goose has two races with two different plumages. Its a biological term and applies to several species.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/brent-goose/

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no it doesn't, the old assumption that they were two different species dates back to before genetic analysis was possible, ever since then, they have been known to be the same species. You are looking at obsolete information

yes of course they do, most species, probably, "race" doesn't have a very precise meaning, and races can be quite difficult to define. Nevertheless, no scientific definition of race distinguishes between different races of modern human. We are far more closely related than that. It is quite damaging, I feel, to use the word "race" for different ethnic origins, as people than assume we are as different from each other as, for example, the two races of Brent Goose you mention. But we are not. We are absolutly not.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Species is a term defining a group that can only successfully breed within its own group. Horses can physically breed with donkeys but the offspring are infertile.
    Any human of any colour, appearance, nationality, ethnicity, religion, culture or political persuasion can successfully breed with any other. We, humans, are a species. Race is some half-assed term to divide us whilst stating the bleeding obvious.

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

( I am a geneticist)

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I shall "dig" deeper into this but at the moment still not convinced.

But on this we agree, race is an emotive word and not the same as ethnicity, It can be used incorrectly to divide people when really it confirms we are all the same with only slight differences.

dunnocks likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think ethnicity is a better word to use, because it refers to your culture, and your life experiences, and that is a more accurate way to define your identity, because the exact biochemistry of your skin and hair is really totally irrelevant to who you are

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Taxonomic groups (species, subspecies, family etc.) are not all equivalent and tend to reflect how well studied a particular group are. There is no more closely studied species than Homo sapiens and so we are aware of differences to a much greater degree than in other animal groups.

"Race" as a term is so imprecise as to be meaningless and historically has been mainly used by those who wish to show that their own "race" is measurable and superior to others.

Our differences are the thickness of a fag paper.

hamcguin likes this.
  16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I disagree:

racial
    /ˈreɪʃ(ə)l/
    adjective
    1. relating to race.
      "a racial minority"
      synonyms: ethnic, race-related, ethnological; More

• on the grounds of or connected with difference in race.
    Are you at the bottle? This makes no sense.
    You are incorrect, completely.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Indeedy! I'll never forget my early interest in my family tree and diversity, which led me to type in tall, slim, red hair, green eyes, white (burns) skin and freckles, given the %scandi thing I got back from my birthday DNA pres. The reply I got was factually brilliant (I cross-referenced) but came from a site I'd never heard of but was... Stormfront.
    Now it's on my hard drive. Forever.

18. hamcguin

hamcguin New commenter

I do not like mixed race. Why do we even still need to refer to people in this way? My father was Irish and my mother English and noone has ever called me mixed race. It is a reference to colour, thinly disguised. My daughters are dual heritage, but i am yet to encounter a legitimate reason for referring to them in this way.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Anglo-Irish, Anglo-American, Irish American, African-American are typical and descriptive terms used that surely are not offensive. Colour is not relevant whereas racial definition is often used/required on your passport possibly? Many job application forms ask for your colour and/or ethnicity. Why do people get up tight about it, are they ashamed of what they are? I am white and unashamed to be so, if I were a different colour I would be equally unashamed. It is probably the first thing you notice when meeting people, I really cannot see why people get up set over it.

20. hamcguin

hamcguin New commenter