1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable words/phrases

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, May 10, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Quite, but it's actually informative nay educational if taken seriously.

Ellakits likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This is the problem with all "politically correct" terms which seek to avoid empirical descriptors of an attribute as it is.
    They are patronising.
    Somehow, using more words is used to make ourselves seem "nice".
    It's (often) a british thing.More words equals nice equals I'm a good person talking about something which is possibly slightly less good, so to disguise the fact that I might think this to be the case, I'll add a few words so that I appear to be doing all I can to avoid the sense of inferiority I am imposing

Example "We would appreciate it if you refrained from standing on the grass, and apologise for the inconvenience.Look at how lovely and understanding I am by using all these extra words"

Any other country "KEEP OFF THE GRASS.IT'S MINE, NOT YOURS".

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Old term: fat
    New term: obese

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Not sure about that. I think there is still the need for two different words to describe different attributes. It is possible to be fat without being obese. Obese is the extreme of fatness. For example, Lisa Riley was a very good competitor in Strictly Come Dancing even though she was fat. Had she been obese she would have been unable to compete let alone progress as far as she did.

les25paul likes this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

To be pedantic you can be within the boundaries of your ideal weight, overweight and then obese. You can also be underweight of course.

A medical professional would never describe someone as fat (unless the person in question was a mate and the fat git had nicked his last biscuit).

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Not now she isn't. . She did lose 12 stone to get to that weight.

7. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Fair comment. I guess we are discussing words in common usage rather than those used by medics. Fat is certainly used by most people and indeed people use it about themselves.

8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Just got the screenshots in, in anticipation of filament traction.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I am the product of a relationship between a man and a woman. Does that make me a person of dual heritage?

towncryer and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  10. EmanuelShadrack

Yes. But not a dual heritage person though. Be careful with that one.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

At some point during the 80s, I had to intervene in a discussion about a colleague of colour that was getting out of hand. The chap in question wasn't in all truth, as knowledgeable about electronics as he pretended to be and had left a catalogue of disasters behind him for which others would probably have been told "We don't want to lose you, but we are going to have to let you go."

Anyway, this chap somehow always managed to avoid that conversation. The conversation I intervened in had been getting heated after a couple of others had been left to pick up the pieces of yet another disaster. I was asked "How does he get away with it?" I had no answer other than he was a bit of an enigma, which made them chuckle a lot and diffused the situation.

I've been pondering today about how those who grew up in the 50s-70s and were indoctrinated with derogatory racial stereotyping can give up what they learned as kids at the flick of a switch. Since I can still remember all the nursery rhymes I was taught, I can also remember the racist jokes I heard at school, albeit I stopped repeating them when I grew up and realised they weren't that funny, or the depictions of people of colour were as unlikely as cats playing fiddles and cows jumping over the moon.

The trouble is, our brains rely on making connections with stuff we learnt at some point in our lives. I would appreciate being able to sever the connection between women, dogs and walnut trees as told by an elderly uncle, but as soon as mention is made of walnut trees, I'm reminded of the rhyme.

I believe it's possible to eradicate racism through education and reasoned debate, but it's difficult, if not impossible, to unlearn terminology, phrases and notions we picked up in our formative years. All we can do is control whether or not we use them. We can't stop our brains flashing them up when it makes the connection.

To make matters worse, people love comedy and the easiest way of making people laugh is to identify differences and make fun of them. Trying to curb that is like playing Whack A Mole.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My 5 yr old granddaughter has a blue parking badge which despite our uniform efforts she describes as a disabled badge.i always call it blue badge or parking badge (with most positive appreciativeness!) but not sure she has a clue or where the D word came from.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Interesting thread.

Are we becoming too sensitive or are we looking for something to be offended by?

People (generally) when face to face, eye to eye, tend to be polite/inoffensive IME.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I don't know what you think the point of that is. TES call it inadmissible harvesting of other people's posts. It's in the T&C somewhere.

15. EmanuelShadrack

Oh right. Thanks for that. I'd better delete them.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

"Filament traction"?

17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I am very glad of the new term "people of colour" but find it hard to get out of the habit of saying "black"

but I teach that black means an absence of light, and culturally, a lot of our use of the word black reflects this, so I've always thought it was inappropriate way to describe a group of humans.

18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

people don't come in black and white anyway. Cats come in black and white. People come in pink and brown

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

***? how do people feel about this word? I know people who love it and people who say it is offensive

20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

haha! TES obviously find it offensive! That really surprises me!

Y

i

d

will that work? presumably the word yiddish isn't offensive?