1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable words/phrases

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, May 10, 2019.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Old term: Deaf as a Post
    New Term: Hearing impaired.

Old Term: Blind
    New Term: Visually impaired

Old Term: Cripple
    New Term: Disabled.

Old Term: Homosexual
    New Term: Gay

Old Term: Prostitute
    New Term: Sex Worker

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Mobility impairment. You can't simply apply the term disabled and expect someone to understand.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Empowered Sex Positive Entrepreneur.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Old term: Homosexual
    Yesterdays term: Gay
    Today's term: Fabulous!

5. ilovesooty

Is there any need to mock?

6. Oscillatingass

I am happy to use the word disabled for now though if it becomes unacceptable I will change in order to avoid offence.

7. ilovesooty

I didn't mean it was unacceptable but it's not very informative or specific.

8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

You never let us down Red :D

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I note that the term "differently abled" has fallen from use after a brief spell, it always struck me as particularly patronising.

10. EmanuelShadrack

There was no need, but as Stephen Fry said, there's no need for the cushion that was on the sofa on which he was sitting.

Do you consider lan's post offensive?

les25paul likes this.
  11. ilovesooty

I don't find it pleasant. I've worked with a lot of sex workers who were anything but empowered.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't go there! :eek:

There was a similar thread here a couple of years ago and one poster got infuriated about the NAACP analogy, arguing (if I recall correctly) that people of colour were entitled to call themselves coloured if they wanted to but for anyone else to do so was racist. The whole thread got so heated I think mods pulled it.

13. Oscillatingass

I speculate that the word would be used within a context that would make the meaning specific and/or obvious.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Erm... could you stop trying police what I post thank you? It isn't welcome.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So I suggest you click ignore and then you won't have to read those bad words.

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

London Canary's asterisks I think - TES filters would have deleted the whole word. Actually I don't think TES have set a list of unacceptable words themselves. They've just installed some standard filter software. And to judge from its rather odd choices of words it doesn't like it seems to be American. eg deleting ******

EDIT. It asterisked out the name of one of my favourite foods, the minced pork meatball called a f a g g o t

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  17. ilovesooty

Police? That's a bit melodramatic. I could accuse you of policing my taking issue with what you said.

18. ilovesooty

Why should I have to put you on ignore because I found one thing you said unpleasant?

19. EmanuelShadrack

Thank you for the information. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets pulled. I'll have to make the relevant copies of comments while I can.

The "N-word" (and I'm not of a fan at all of the obligation to use this term) is used a great deal in "The Wire", and always by the black characters (as far as I recall). It mirrors my experience on a London bus, where this black chap was using the word, whilst on the phone with someone.

20. ilovesooty

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked either.