1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable words/phrases

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, May 10, 2019.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Hello Everyone

Following on from the recent Danny Baker thread, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of a quick definitive reference to words and phrases that are now deemed unacceptable/offensive/whatever, and what the current incarnations of these words/phrases now are.

Example:

Old term:
    mentally handicapped

New term:
    learning disabled / possessing a learning disability

(I'm guessing the "New term" in the example above is still "acceptable". That too might have become unacceptable since I last looked.)

Some sort of measure of the offensiveness of the old term would be useful too, if available.

I did google "politically correct word list" just now, and the top result was a link to the BNP website, of all places. Funnily enough I won't be taking that as the definitive guide on this topic.

My workplace doesn't provide me with training on this, and for that I am grateful. Personally I think all that's required would be a straightforward list. Trawling through videos etc seems to me to be overkill.

In the absence of a universally-agreed guide, examples would be most welcome.

Thank you

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Established commenter

Illegal/undocumented (as in migrant)
    Re****ed/intellectual disability (also replaces id*** mo*** and imb****)

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Congenital iodine deficiency syndrome has replaced the former medical term given to the disease for reasons explained here. Regrettably changing the name hasn't eliminated the condition.

les25paul and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I used to run workshops on acceptable / unacceptable language. It was useful to engage in discussion rather than work from a list - or so the participants said.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. EmanuelShadrack

emerald52 likes this.
  6. EmanuelShadrack

Why? What's wrong with a list? Why is a discussion required to be aware that you don't say "mentally handicapped" any more, and instead to say "learning disabled"?

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Old:
    Coloured

New:
    Person of colour

Don't ask me why... I don't know. I'd ask the NAACP but...

artboyusa and les25paul like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Old:
    Mixed race

New:
    Dual Heritage

I heard this in a discussion on Radio 4.

9. ilovesooty

I didn't say it was required. I said the participants found it useful. Perhaps it was to do with working in an environment based on personal interaction.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

Mixed race is still acceptable. People might come from more than two heritages.

11. ilovesooty

The two aren't the same.

Jamvic likes this.
  12. ilovesooty

SEND.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

Your censorship or automatic TES filtering? Maybe one of the mods could share the database of words that TES deems unacceptable... although that would only appear as a series of asterisks wouldn't it?! It's been a long (short) week.

towncryer likes this.
  14. ilovesooty

Or multiracial or multi ethnic

Jamvic likes this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

Please elaborate.

It sounds a lot like the Judean People's Front to me.

16. ilovesooty

The term "coloured" historically has its roots in segregation.

"People of colour" came from movements fighting segregation and exclusion and is a much newer term.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you think there is a pure race?

Really?

les25paul likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In the USA... why people want to pretend they have the same meaning here because of events in another country I don't know.

And as I said... NAACP.

19. ilovesooty

Not what I said. I also gave alternatives for those who prefer other definitions.

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  20. ilovesooty

Some people may not care for "people of colour". If they prefer black no reason not to use their preferred terminology.