1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable to cry for Leavers'?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachermiss, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Hi there, was just wondering about this. I'm getting upset when making a photostory about this year so am worrying about how I'm going to be nearer the time. Half of me thinks it'll be ok to be upset but another part of me thinks some people may think it is unprofessional to cry in front of the children. What are your experiences?

2. I cry throughout our leavers assembly, in fact a few of us do! We pass tissues around, sniff loudly and pretend we have something in our eyes[​IMG] It might be considered unprofessional but I've known these children for 6 years and the fact that they're leaving makes me sad! I don't think there's anything wrong with this, I just try to keep the sobs to a minimum!

3. I'm sure there's a SEAL objective somewhere that you can link accepting emotions as normal to!

4. I cry when my class leaves every year - and I have never taught year 6 so I always know I'll see them again next year!! We are all only human after all and some of us cry easier than others - adverts have been known to make me well up, so i don't think it's unprofessional - in my case i know i'm just a bit soft!!!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

i used to cry as a man in leavers assembly..........even if not my own class
    mind you in some cases i have cried with relief that i have finally got rid of the little so and so;s lol

6. Thanks for the messages, they are reassuring! They have not always been the easiest of classes but I've grown really fond of them. Hopefully, I would have cried so much before the last week that I'll be all cried out!!

7. TweedJacket

TweedJacket New commenter

I taught Y4/5 for the previous three years and only moved up into Y6 in September due to a colleague leaving, the majority of the leavers were with me in Y4. About 30% have had me for 3 years running (poor things) and I've watched them grow up in that time, they're lively and push things occasionally but we have such a good relationship and lots of fun.
    I've been putting together a Photostory and mentioned to my wife the parents, kids and maybe I would cry - she told me I'd better not as men don't cry! Ah well [​IMG]

8. I've also cried while making the photostory! Had last year's lot for 2 years running and cried loads - including in the pub when we went for drinks after school! Hopefully won't be that bad this year!

9. My class are also lively but we've had some laughs and good fun over the year. They are good fun and can take a joke!

10. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I have always managed to stay composed (well, kind of) over the past 5 years, but I shall be one of the 'leavers' too this year (got exciting new job) - so I don't know how I will cope...

11. I had tears in my eyes at our headteachers leaving service, and i didnt even like him - it was just all the effort the children had put in to making the service really nice.

12. I cry at everything - Secret Millionaire, adverts about neglected animals, everything ! No hope for me then!

13. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

I cried at the leavers assembly over the year group that I had taught for 3 of their 4 years in junior school! Struggled to even get through the register on the last day!! Hoping not to cry this year as I shall be one of the leavers, hopefully the fact that everyone else will probably be celebrating a hideous year group leaving will help.[​IMG]

14. My class do not have the best reputation but I can see the nice side of those with a bad reputation since I have taught them/spent some time with them.

15. Just wanted to add that I cry at everything too, and my class (yr 3) are just used to me now, we watched a bit of CATs the musical last week and cried at Elaine Paige singing Memories, I don't even like Cats, I'm allergic to them, aw children thought it was quite normal for me to cry, as for year 6 taught them before Yr 3 for a few years, by the time i'd got round to doing the leavers' assembly, Sats results, transition reports, blah blah blah, everybody else was crying except me - wierd ey !!! In fact last year my student classroom assistant and other classroom assistant were crying so much felt quite envious I was too busy consoling them to even shed a tear - I think I did have a tissue and blew my nose a bit just so it would look like I was crying - and they were a fabulous class too - I was really sorry to see them go but also happy to let them go off to the 'big' school. I think cyring ok.[​IMG]

16. My class know I have been making a photostory and I've already informed them that I may cry! We were choosing a song clip to sing and I couldn't believe that one of my Year 6 boys had tears in his eyes! He said how he couldn't believe he was upset!

17. Said boy was one of the "in" group who likes to think he's a 19 year old rapper!

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

I usually don't don't whether to laugh or cry. One year, all the boys blubbed like mad after spending the whole year trying to be The Man. During that assembly, I was giggling so much that I had to pretend to be crying!

19. Groovygirl

Groovygirl New commenter

I have always cried in the past. I cry when they sing, I cry when we give them certificates, I cry at leavers assembly, I cry at the leavers disco...
    This year has been a difficult year. [​IMG]
    I think I may have to force the tears as I am known for it and they will be upset if they don 't see me being a tad emotional.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I cried during leavers assembly, when leaving my first job. This was in the morning which set me off for the rest of the day. I had reception so didnt want them to see me blubbing all day. The year 6s saw me cry in the assembly and I didnt mind that. I kept having to disappear into the stock cupboard and my TA took over all through the day. I managed to compose myself for the last hour until they had gone but a parent came back in to thank me and found me blubbling and gave me a cuddle. I also blubbed when a Y6 boy came back in to give me flowers as thanks for teaching him athletics and getting him a sports award. I've been fine since when leaving other jobs, but then I think my first job was a bit special. Mind I will probably blub when I leave my present school as I love it. I do get emotional on the last day with my class. The song that always sets me off in leavers assembly is one more step along the world I go. I often used to attend the schools leavers assembly that I am governors at and even when I dont know any of the children, just hearing that song sets me off. My own child is in Year 6 this year so I will be a complete wreck.