1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable or not?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by -HomeAlone-, Dec 14, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT, and started a maternity cover after half term. The school behaviour is decent, but they have a problem with ongoing low-level disruption - mainly constant talking.
    Because of previous behaviour, I gave them a resource and question sheet, which they needed to complete in silence. They couldn't do silence.
    I read somewhere (here?) that you should get the culprits to stand up - eventually I had about 8 students standing up, but they just kept chatting.
    When this didn't work, I made these 8 students stand at the side/front of the classroom facing the wall. IT WORKED A TREAT! The rest of the lesson was in silence!
    When I recounted this story to a small (select) group of colleagues in the staffroom, there was a sharp intake of breath. They were supportive, but it was the intial reaction that got me worried!
    I understand about not humiliating students, and was very aware not to do that during the lesson, and made very sure it wasn't a public humiliation thing, but as a result of their behaviour.
    But, is this kind of thing acceptable or not? And why?
    <u> Extra info:</u>
    This was a last resort with the group - they've been driving me crazy for weeks. It's a decent school, with decent kids, they just won't shut up when they need to. It's not something I will (or want to) resort to regularly, just as another weapon in my armoury.
    I do work through the behaviour policies, and did so this lesson too. From this class I regularly give out 3-4 break-time detentions.
    It's not a one off - I've been teaching them for 7 weeks, and haven't once got through what was planned (or reasonably expected) during the lesson.

2. It worked for you when other strategies have failed so personally i would say well done. Sharp intake of breath, lol some are afraid to take an action such as yours. Why? i dont know but if you get to teach and pupils to learn what harm has been done?