1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable limits

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Just wondering, what do others feel are acceptable limits to put on your work, during long-term supply?

I am doing supply to give myself a ‘breather’ and the payback for low income is having extra time. Recently, I have been offered long-term posts in some schools where I have worked. I have resisted, but I need the money so I need to think it through.

On day-to-day I aim to leave schools by 4.30pm tops and have no evening or weekend work. It sounds, from these threads, like some schools really want long-term supply to do all the things any teacher would do, but on the cheap.

What limits do you put upon yourselves and how do you politely enforce them and still give a professional impression?

agathamorse and gingerhobo48 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It really does vary from role to role. It is possible to pick up some longer term assignments where you wont be expected to plan and do minimal marking; however, there are roles where the school will expect you to do all the planning, marking, report writing and parents' evenings. If you take on the roles where you are expected to do all the additional work, ensure you bargain for a higher rate to take into account all the extra work - otherwise it simply isn't worth it.

Before you take on any long term role, ensure you know exactly what the school will expect and the daily rate you will receive which should be in excess of £150 per day. Do not be a mug and take on all the extra work without the extra pay since you will become bitter and exhausted and experience all the horrible things which made you go on supply in the first place.

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

It’s a market, don’t sell yourself short. I just said no I’m not doing that for the money offered. Please do not forget it is not just the money, it’s holiday pay, sickness benefits, pension etc.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

During one of my long term roles, I was having a rant to the Head about a particularly difficult day I'd had and exclaimed: 'I didn't sign up for this!'. Her not-very-helpful reply was: 'Nor did I!' I refrained from pointing out that she was on at least double my salary, with all the benefits denied to me, and that, as Head, she had signed up to whatever the job threw at her! In hindsight, I should have done, I suppose.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Sounds like I'm very lucky. On a long-term at £195 per day.

Most of the onerous pressures have passed me by. I'm convinced that the school has avoided asking "How good is Mr Cazorla?" because it daren't do anything about it. Recruitment and retention make the school eager for anyone who'll hang around. I'm not a total slacker: I do all planning and mark the numerous end-of-topic tests that come out. I've also volunteered for parents' evenings but the guiding line there is -
    The way to win a medal is to act when the general is watching.

I've been there over a term so I suspect the general will be watching a bit more soon. I might stir myself to put some nice coloured ink in books and step up a bit with the 'approved' starter and other bits and bats.

All this is possible because my HoD is completely overwhelmed and most likely grateful that I've lasted longer than about a third of the department. If I went that would be another quarter-hour out of the morning setting cover work.
    Sorry, wandered off. Try spotting the problems in advance and then send an email volunteering to do them. This can throw in problems like,
    "Of course I need some training to be able to adopt the 3 colour scheme"
    "Will I get the photo-copying access to produce differentiated work?"
    "Can I be shown how the data systems are accessed and understood".

With luck this is all the ticky boxes the general needs and don't forget the loss of you is a serious matter for the school so they can't do any bullying/harassing of you.

6. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I agree to some department meetings. I plan and mark as I see fit. I do parents' evening for pay or paid time off. I pay scant regard to marking schemes and simply plead ignorance to school schemes. I leave 30 seconds after the bell. I don't do duties.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

For the extra pay I try and do an extra hour. This can be marking or meetings. I normally only get an extra £20 a day on long term, partly because I am expensive anyway. So £20 an hour seems fair to me.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Personally, I think that if I am on long term subject specific supply, ie covering a specific teacher's post, then I am responsible for the marking, preparation, parents evenings and if necessary, reports during that period. I view it as a temporary contract.
    If it's for a matter of weeks rather than months, then I expect the medium term plan to be in place but would still expect to do the day to day planning myself.
    This, of course, is dependent on being paid to scale, whether by school or agency.

If I am on steady supply in a school but being used as general supply, then of course it's different.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  9. k_russell3

k_russell3 New commenter

10. k_russell3

k_russell3 New commenter

Good advice. I wish I knew this before I agreed to a long term post. I'm getting £140 a day but had to argue a bit with the agency for that as was only getting £120 a day to plan, mark, do parents eves, write reports, attend all meetings etc. I politely asked my agency to start paying me to scale which should be £160 a day, once 12 weeks had passed, but they said the school weren't willing to increase the money so 'therefore your pay will remain the same' I feel like I was coerced into it a bit as the job started off as a just 1 term so I didn't set out any minimum amount I would do it for. Then they kept extending it, saying what a great job I'm doing. Not great enough to pay me what I'm worth though!

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  11. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

The law of 'supply and demand' does not seem to apply to schools and agencies. A school might be desperate to find a teacher while the agency expects you to accept a lower daily rate for a long-term assignment as a payment for the privilege of a more stable income.

I remember being sent to a school by an agency, for what turned out to be an unpaid, PT science job, so I politely declined. A couple of days later, the agency were on the phone.

"The school really want you. What would persuade you to change your mind?"
    "Pay me some money!"
    "It doesn't work like that."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  12. applecrumblebumble

Jolly Roger you seem to be very unlucky at getting any money for anything. How do you make ends meet?
    Is there a glut of supply teachers in South Londo?

13. applecrumblebumble

I think sometimes you need to call their bluff. I reminded my agency a week before the 12 weeks, some frantic negotiations took place but school were not willing to pay UPS but I did end up doing 1 to 1 maths tuition for the same money that was a nice gig.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. applecrumblebumble

But you are not on a temporary contract, you are not on any contract. The agency or school could pull you out at any time. The only occasion that I would offer a full service would be if I was paid to scale at £195 a day, pay less you get less service, simple really.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger12

I have my pension but I would like to supplement it. At the moment I can, as the saying goes, 'afford the cinema but no popcorn. I do not know about South London in particular but in NW London, where I live, you could not through a brick in the street without hitting and a would-be supply teacher. I get the impression, from my own experience, and those of people I know personally, that secondary supply in London, short or long term, is a lost cause.

16. applecrumblebumble

Have you tried private tuition, there must be work for good science tuition in North London, especially this time year. I know you were not keen on exam marking but do all the exam groups require ‘free marking’? It is a nice way to make 2 or 3 grand.

17. sparkleghirl

If you'd read/quoted my entire post, you'll find that's exactly what I said.

18. Jolly_Roger12

I have had some private pupils but this area is saturated with would-be tutors. Just a look on the Tutor Hunt website will show you, as @David Getling puts it, "Everyone and his dog is offering tuition at rock bottom rates."

As you know, I looked into exam marking, approaching all the usual exam boards, but only Edexcel seemed interested. Contrary to popular impression, exam boards do not seem to be short of science markers. Not being a 'serving teacher' seems to put you at the back of the queue as a potential marker.

19. applecrumblebumble

Sorry my mistake.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  20. sparkleghirl

Unfortunately, parents and students only realise that you get what you pay for once it's too late.

agathamorse likes this.