1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ACCEPTABLE INTERVIEW STANDARDS

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pangar, Dec 2, 2011.

1. I spoke to someone at an agency in Loughton today. They reminded me about a strange ad hoc interview for a fixed term post at a foundation school in East London. As I recall, the 'interview' consisted of one rambling chat with the HOD in an open area followed by another rambling Q&A with a member of the SLT on some soft seats in his office. When I never received a phone call back from them, I rang the school directly and informed them, as a fully trained interviewer, that their behaviour was unprofessional and that some of the questioning bordered on the discriminatory.
    I've never heard back from that agency so I tried to email them today to follow up some applications I made for mentoring posts. The email bounced back to me so I rang them hence the conversation mentioned above. I assured the agency bod that I would raise the matter with my union tomorrow. Whether they will take note of it or not is anyone's guess but I will be damned if I go softly into that good night.
    Has anyone else had an offer from one of the new independent school springing up like mushrooms? Well, I was encouraged to apply formally for a mentoring post yet it seems they favour registered teachers, with a view to dressing syllabi, admisions criteria, policy documents...etc. Surely this is beyond the bounds of legality even for Britain?

2. As far as I know, in the UK if you are applying for a contracted position, the school must follow rigerous recruitement procedure, Which they then ignore when it suits them.
    If it is not a contracted position then they do what they like.
    Most guidelines in the UK are guidelines, which looks good but are easily ignored.