1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accent Discrimination??

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wakeyjo, Oct 21, 2019.

1. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

I have quite a strong accent but most people understand me. Students will rarely say anything but I'm growing tired of remarks about my accent from other members of staff! Its especially narrow minded and patronizing when in the middle of a conversation other teachers will stop to say how much they love my accent rather than on focusing on the conversation itself. I work in an international school but its amazing how narrow minded people can be even though they live and work in an international context!

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Aelfric

Aelfric New commenter

Don’t be afraid to play the race / discrimination card as management will want to keep you sweet in that respect.
    A few years ago I had a similar situation because of my London accent in a Northern school. Quite interestingly the parents were black and I told both them and management that they should know better than anyone the toils of discrimination. Needless to say I never heard from them again.