1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Accelerated reading

Discussion in 'English' started by cliam, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Do any schools run an accelerated reading programme and have you seen a positive impact on literacy levels of your pupils? We currently run accelerated reading with y7, taking one lesson a week from curriculum time. My concern is that the questioning of pupils during their tests is all lower order recall and that the programme is not enthusing our pupils to read. Thoughts and opinions gratefully received!

2. We are using something called Electronic Library which I would not recommend at all. It is so full of spelling errors and grammatical errors to start with. we also find that the pupils get fed up with the system quite quickly, work out how they can bypass the structure, don't always understand what they are reading, etc. We have had some vast improvements fro a Redaing age of 8 leaping up to 12, most are not as spectacular only moving up about 6 -12 moths.
    We were considering taking on Accelerated Reader and wanted some opinions. we have also just had something called Catchup Literacy suggested to us. Does anyone know anything about this scheme?

3. We have seen a positive impact. Having worked in two schools that run the system, I think that competition is an important element to the pupils being enthusiastic.
    The accelerated reading scheme works on a point system, with the shorter books being worth about 0.5 and the higher books 5-6 points. We ran an inter-form competition that worked with whole school behaviour, attendance and equipment too. The form with the most points from Accelerated reading, attendance and effort (after reductions for pupils on report, absences and lack of equipment) were given a treat, ranging from an afternoon off timetable to watch a DVD or a trip to the cinema. We had a monthly league table and tried to encourage pupil only to complete the test when they were confident - some were too eager to do the test and their results suffered as a result.
    One of my pupils last year moved up over a year after two terms, he did start with a reading age of 6. His reading and writing skills, as well as his behaviour, noticeably improved. That pupil was also involved in One-to-One reading programme, which also added to his score.